VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like ideas of vegetarian cookbooks to buy. So far I only have one: "The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites". I love it, but I need more.

Any suggestions? Whenever I look in the bookstore it seems like most of the vegetarian cookbooks are either very complicated gourmet cooking or else are too high in fat for me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I also have this book, and if you are lacto-ovo, it would probably be a great resource for you. The lacto-ovo recipes look pretty yummy and easy. But it has a ridiculously small number of tasty sounding vegan recipes, so I don't really use it.

Also, I have the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook and it is great. It offers nutrition facts for all the recipes, so you can evaluate how well they meet your needs. I have liked everything I've tried from it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have two wonderful suggestions for you!!! My favorite cookbooks are:

The Almost No Fat Cookbook: Everyday Vegetarian Recipes by Bryanna Clark-Grogan

and

Everyday Cooking with Dean Ornish: 150 Easy, Low Fat, High Flavor Recipes by Dean Ornish

These both have tons of vegan recipes!! Everything I have tried has been easy and yummy. They aren't lacking flavor at all. I highly recommend them both.

Also, check out www.fatfree.com for a ton of very low fat recipes. I've had great luck with just about all that I have tried.

Christa

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

I am familiar with www.fatfree.com and I've made many delicious recipes from there. But I do prefer a "paper" cookbook.

I have borrowed Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish from the library and copied out a few recipes. I think I've only made two recipes, a minestrone recipe plus blueberry muffins (I love how low in sugar they are -- I make them often and everyone likes them).

I will look for 1001 Low fat Vegetarian Recipes and The Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook and the Almost No Fat one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
All of the McDougall books are either extremely low-fat vegan or completely fat free vegan.

Remember too that you can always saute in veg stock and forgo the oil, that way you can use any regular old recipe you'd like.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Remember too that you can always saute in veg stock and forgo the oil, that way you can use any regular old recipe you'd like. [/B]
Yup, I do that too. But I like recipes that are already low fat with the nutritional info all figured out already.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got myself a copy of "1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes". You're right that it's mostly lacto-ovo, but that's fine by me. I have made a long list of recipes to try.

What's weird is that a few of dessert recipes have gelatin in them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.