VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am new to this site, and I am very glad I found this. I am currently in college and I don't enjoy meat much, and always been looking into vegetarian food and diet. But it can be very difficult because it's like full time job with no time prepare food for yourself. Any suggestions for how I could start changing. Thanks so much

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It depends on the foods you like to eat and what kind of vegetarian you're thinking of becomming.

For me, I took a few hours to put together a list of meals that I knew I could easily make. Then drew up a meal plan for the next few weeks. The initial planning took a while, but once it was done, it was so much easier to go from there.

My main 'two'-

Spaghetti Bolognaise- Use lentils or four bean mix instead of mince and then whatever other veggies you want, like mushrooms, onion, carrot ect.

Curries/Stifry (Check to make sure it doesn't contain fish sauce)- I buy a few jars or satchels of sauce, get my usual frozen veg and then include chickpeas, lentils or fake meats as required.

All of it keeps fairly well. I do a big cook up at the start of the week, then continue through.

I find it cheaper than microwave meals and at least I have more control over the ingredients.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Some things can be prepared beforehand. Mix some nutritious stuff like corn flakes, oats, berries, sesame seeds powder, milo, yeast powder... etc. into a container that can last a week. This can be your breakfast drink. Just take a few spoons from the container into a cup and add some water. There are many types of frozen veggie buns which you can heat up for your breakfast.

Start identifying vegetarian foods in your school canteen and restaurants around you. Pay attention to the menu. Search the veggie-friendly restaurants in your area from the websites like Happy Cow or Vegman.

Worse come to worse, just order any foods and pick the meats out.

Gambate!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think a sample 24 hour recall of your diet would help or what type of dining hall/kitchen arrangements you have. When I was in college there were always vegetarian options in the dining halls. We had a mini fridge in the dorm to keep a few items and a communal kitchen down the hall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts