VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had it? Care to share your thoughts and experiences?

Doctor has recommended it for me, since condoms don't work for us and I can't remember to take a pill.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You mean one of those T-shaped doodads they put in your uterus? IUD?

My friend had one and had severely heavy bleeding and cramping for months and months. Personally, I'm a little finicky about putting a foreign object in my delicate lady-bits, but if condoms aren't your cup of tea, it could be perfect for you.

You would get the hormone-free kind, right?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, the chip thingy they put in your arm. I don't know what else to call it :/

It's not hormone free, the doctor said it's like the mini-pill so I guess it's progesterone. I haven't looked into it too much, I want personal experiences rather than the medical info so I thought I'd ask women directly rather than searching

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
are those little rod shapped things? i had a coworker who had those and she lost a ton of her hair.

i did the depo shot and that was horrible too. 3 months of straight bleeding.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I remember when Norplant first came out as the original implant bc. Have you thought of the Nuvaring? I ask because it's not as big a commitment as an implanted bc, which appeals to me in case you have a reaction or change your mind or something.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
^yes, my sister uses the NuvaRing and she likes it.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NuvaRing or IUDs don't appeal to me at all, I don't want anything that goes in the vagina. I'm not crazy about having an implant in my arm either but it seems like it's my only viable option, or at least the only one I am reasonably comfortable with. He can't stay hard in condoms, I can't remember a pill regularly, I'm looking at starting a family in maybe 2 years so the injection is not a good idea, and I don't want a coil or ring. Doc says the implant's side effects are same as the mini pill, which I have been fine on apart for some light bleeding, and I can take it out whenever I like and my fertility will not be affected. I think it's the only way for me :/

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have one and I love it, no other contraception would come close for me. I can't have injections, I would deffinatly forget to take the pill, I frankly prefer sex without condoms, and any of the methods that involve things going in your vagina are generally for women who are older or have had children (from what I can see).

The problem I had was that it makes me constantly bleed (well, spotting really), and when it didn't stop after a month I was given pills to take to stop the bleeding. I take them twice a day, but I can skip probally about 6-8 before I would get a period as there seems to be a lag so if I forget them now and then it doesn't matter at all. My doctor really doesn't understand this, she keeps telling me "if you're taking pills anyway, why not take The Pill?" but I'm so forgetful and the last thing in the world I would want is to get pregnant and for me... it just doesn't seem reliable enough. I want a method that doesn't involve me having to do something right!

That said, my doc told me most women don't get periods at all when on it - lucky them! So that's something to hope for anyway.

Anyway going in it didn't hurt, they sort of numb your arm and insert it with a giant needle (I had to pick mine up from the pharmacy). I have a small round scar where it went it... probally about 2mm across, I don't know if that's normal or not. You can feel it in there which is kind of reassuring, but no one would know it was there. Anyway I'd reccomend it, I think it was deffinatly the best contraceptive option available for me.

I have to get mine switched this year actually, they last three years which is awesome.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Oh yeah and my doc said you can take pills of the same hormone (sounds like you're already doing that) to see what side-effects it may have as well. I didn't do that though, I just jumped straight in

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

What about the patch? I think you just need to change it once a week...
Eh I'm lazy, the implant seems to require the least effort from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Oh yeah and my doc said you can take pills of the same hormone (sounds like you're already doing that) to see what side-effects it may have as well. I didn't do that though, I just jumped straight in
Thanks for your posts, it was just the kind of info I was looking for! I have had some light bleeding on the mini pill but I had been double dosing to catch up with the ones I missed. And it was so light that it didn't even stain my underwear, I just saw it on toilet paper. Sounds like it is the thing for me

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Anyone had it? Care to share your thoughts and experiences?

Doctor has recommended it for me, since condoms don't work for us and I can't remember to take a pill.
I got the implant last year. Best thing I've done in ages. I was particularly happy that it stopped my periods altogether (sorry for the TMI), but as I understand it, that doesn't happen for everyone. I love not having to worry about contraception or periods, getting the implant liberated me.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Jace View Post

I got the implant last year. Best thing I've done in ages. I was particularly happy that it stopped my periods altogether (sorry for the TMI), but as I understand it, that doesn't happen for everyone. I love not having to worry about contraception or periods, getting the implant liberated me.
Mine have stopped on the mini-pill, so I suspect it will carry on with the implant. Bonus

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it fitted yesterday. My first ever anaesthetic! It was weird, I thought that part of my arm would go numb but I guess it only worked on the inside?

Ironically, the bruise it has created is shaped somewhat like a penis.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I got it fitted yesterday. My first ever anaesthetic! It was weird, I thought that part of my arm would go numb but I guess it only worked on the inside?

Ironically, the bruise it has created is shaped somewhat like a penis.

When they numb you, it's very specific. Creepy, right?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's weird! The anaesthetic stung really badly, I doubt it would have been much more painful to put the implant in without it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The only arm one i heard was from the 80s and 90's my sister had it in her arm i am not sure what that is. However, this is something my husband and I decided not to worry about no more. My body rejected all forms of Birth control.

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had it in for about two weeks, and I think it was a really good decision for me. I like being able to feel it there, it is reassuring. I think with a vaginal implant or some sort I would have worried about it being dislodged or something, though I'm sure that is a fairly irrational fear. I also like that I can't make any rash baby-making decisions when I am broody (husband is permanently broody) because I need to go through all the hassle of getting it removed when I want to conceive. And if (perhaps I should say when, it sounds inevitable) we get to the stage where we are having sex more irregularly, I am always protected even for those 'surprise' occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I hope it works out for you!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

The only arm one i heard was from the 80s and 90's my sister had it in her arm i am not sure what that is. However, this is something my husband and I decided not to worry about no more. My body rejected all forms of Birth control.
I'm sorry to hear that you had difficulties, but if I recall correctly you are now trying to conceive so it seems like it worked out nicely for you

·
Registered
222 Posts
OH! I was just about to ask about this! Apparently the hormones are less powerful or go a different way to the pill so if you can't take that ( which I can't, migraines, vomiting , all kinds of crap) you can get the implant. But I'd heard a few horror stories and was a bit ... worried. Interesting to read the feedback you got, OP! What are your thoughts on it now?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts