VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you concern yourself about non-vegan contaminants in your otherwise vegan foods? If an otherwise vegan food says, "Made on machinery also used for eggs and milk", would you still buy it and it eat?<br><br>
Does that type of contamination make a product non-vegan?

·
Registered
892 Posts
For me its meat, I wont eat anything deep fried, grilled or cooked in the same pan as meat. The "may contain..." is an allergen warning.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I made a thread about this not long ago: <a href="http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/showthread.php?126002-May-contain-traces-of" target="_blank">http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...tain-traces-of</a><br><br>
I think most vegans still eat things from the same equipment, because usually the equipment is cleaned and the food has no traces of animal products. The "may contain" label is just so they don't get sued if someone doesn't clean the equipment well enough.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It doesn't bother me at all, they must say it by law because of allergies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take it from someone who's not only deadly Peanut allergic, but Vegan for 3 days, that the manufacturers only put this on their products in case of the rare time that something get's into the product that shouldn't be there. It's just there to make people aware that the product may have been exposed to the items mentioned in the warning, not that it has.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
This is a very common topic for new vegans. If you search you'll find many threads on it.<br>
Personally, I don't care if it was made on shared equipment. I think that's a bigger deal for people with allergies than for most vegans.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry if this was discussed recently. I did a search for "contaminants" and didn't find anything recent and I couldn't think of another term or phrase to use as a keyword in a search.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If it says may contain traces of milk or whatever if they're not actual ingredients they added, I'm not too bothered. I ate chips from a fish & chip place like a month ago or something (back when I was still eating eggs & milk so I wasn't as strict on the whole veg*n thing) which I know they cook with the fish, but I'm trying not to buy from places that deal with meat as their main product any more so I probably won't be buying anything like fish & chips any more. I feel like I'm being a hypocrite supporting a business that goes against my beliefs, even if I'm not buying fish (or meat) from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts