VeggieBoards banner

Constantly hungry

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Cissy 
#1 ·
I have been a vegetarian for 8 years, and a vegan for 4 months.

I really do try to eat a balanced diet, but am really struggling. As a consequence, I am hungry even after eating meals.

Could anyone shed any light as to why this is the case?

#3 ·
Hi there, when I went Vegan I was hungry too, but within 2-3 weeks I my stomach adjusted.

What are you eating at each meal? I make sure I include a source of protein for lunch, usually bean, or TVP etc.

My usual work day consists of:

B: Weetbix with a bit of bran, chopped banana on top, LSA and soymilk.

AM: Fruit

L: A BIIIIIG salad with chickpeas, 4 small grainy biscuits (to put my salad on), some fruit and two dates.

PM: (if hungry) more fruit

D: Usually some pasta with vegetables and beans or tofu etc. Stir-fry with rice.

I found carbs to be a good filler too.

Hope this helps somewhat!

#5 ·
My guess is that vegetables only take about 1/2 to 1 hour to digest-- same for rice, soy and so on. (Meat and fat takes something like 4-5 hours). Vegetables are also fiber filled, so when you go to the bathroom, less is left in your lower gut where absorption takes place. So you are "empty" most of the time. Veggies are mostly water, cellulose fiber and some vitamins. There is not much there in the way of nutrients-- and things like rice, potatoes have additional starch (glue) which might keep you full a bit longer. To stay full longer, add more fats and protien-- remembering that vegetable protien digests in fewer hours than that stuff omnivores eat. Hummas is a good source of bean protien and oil. Good thick lentil stews and thicker bean dishes like cassaroles and bean dip with corn tortillias will hit the spot. Also, if you are active, you may be burning your calories quickly. More food helps.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy chick View Post

I usually eat muesli with soya milk for breakfast, pitta breads with fruit for lunch, more fruit mid afternoon and pulses with vegetables for dinner.
Being hungry all the time tells me you're not getting enough calories during the day. I find if I eat a small breakfast, I am hungry throughout the day. I would add at least (for example) a piece of fruit and a soy yogurt at breakfast. Or I would have a full multigrain bagel with nut butter and a glass of soy milk. A mid-morning snack would also be a priority - even if it is just a piece of fruit. If you find that doesn't hold you until lunch, something a bit heavier like peanut butter on apple slices could do the trick. Avocados and nuts are good calorie-dense foods that can help keep you full longer. Have a good sized lunch as well. Keep in mind that vegan food tends to be lower in calories so you get to eat more of it (notice I said "get to" - I love to eat!
).

#7 ·
It could also be that you are used to eating larger portions. Your stomach is used to being stretched to a certain size when eating. And now with your change of diet you may not be eating as much (portion wise), and filling up your stomach as much as you used to. Therefore this is making you feel hungry still. I used to stuff myself like crazy. When I started eating normal portions of food (I made sure my caloric intake was normal) I would still feel hungry. Give your stomach a chance to "shrink" back to where it should be then you'll start feeling better. It took me a good couple of weeks to feel "full" on normal portions. Make sure you eat a couple of snacks throughout the day between meals so you don't feel like you're starving and to keep your calories coming in. I hope that helps.

#10 ·
Are you avoiding dessert? Because brownies always make it all better.

I think you are probably not eating as much especially if you have lowered your fat and upped your fiber. I think the body uses low fat high fiber foods more efficiently. When I eat that way my metabolism always goes up and I can get away with eating quite a bit more.

How is your weight? How much are you eating? I weigh 125 and could stand to loose a bit. I'm just a really tiny person (5 feet 1 inch and really tiny bones). But, I eat more than that every day. I think you need to find a person of similar stature to see what amounts they are eating. It might help you a bit.

I would add some falafel, olives, cucumbers, and hummus to your lunch! You can make up enough falafel for a few days. Hummus is easily purchased and easy to make.

For dinner I would add a salad and some dessert like a small brownie and some rice dream or soy delicious. That would be more like what I eat everyday.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I felt the same way when I went Vegan for a week. I was so hungry (even though my portions never changed) and miserable. I know it wasn't just dairy withdrawl... my body was telling me something!
Chances are, you weren't getting enough food. In general, non-vegan food tends to be higher in calories (usually from animal fats) than vegan food. Your body *was* telling you something: eat more!

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybeachbums View Post

Are you avoiding dessert? Because brownies always make it all better.

How is your weight? How much are you eating? I weigh 125 and could stand to loose a bit. I'm just a really tiny person (5 feet 1 inch and really tiny bones). But, I eat more than that every day. I think you need to find a person of similar stature to see what amounts they are eating. It might help you a bit.
I am avoiding dessert, yes
Its a sugar thing. No added sugar in my diet (paranoid about my weight: 130).

Thank you for your other suggestions though!

#15 ·
Even though I am a vegetarian,I also experienced the feeling of hunger just right after I eat. I disagree with some of the previous posts that suggest to take in more fiber (from fruits, vegi, and whole grain). You don't need more fiber (from your diet it seems you are getting plenty already!) Instead, you should definitely eat more 1) fat (from nuts, olive oil) and 2) more protein (from all kinds of beans) beacause from your posts these two categories seem low...try it!

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy chick View Post

I usually eat muesli with soya milk for breakfast, pitta breads with fruit for lunch, more fruit mid afternoon and pulses with vegetables for dinner.
Although you are eating FABULOUS foods, they are basically all carbs and you are using them very quickly as energy therefore your body is saying..GIVE ME FOOD - NOW!
right now your are creating high blood sugar levels due to only eating carb sources. This will in turn make you hungry

So, add some nut butter to your pita bread, nutsor scoop of nut butter with your fruit/snacks and large salads with dressing (not fat free!)...this will add some good fat sources/calories to your nutritional intake and help keep you full longer. You said you are concerned about your weight....not eating enough does not help. Your body will only hold onto your food to use it as energy. So PLEASE EAT!

If you are exercising it is extremely important to eat throughout the day to keep the fire buring (metabolism)..

oh..DO NOT get me wrong....Carbs are awesome! (some of you have heard me say that once or twice
)...just need to balance out your daily intake with protein and fat also

Good Luck!

#17 ·
I don't think you're eating anywhere near enough. Bread and fruit is not a well balanced lunch. Start by adding more protein and fat to your diet.

I will admit that when I first went Vegan, even getting enough calories, I missed that satiated feeling that I had once gotten when eating meat and dairy. I now associate that feeling with overeating and being bloated. Now that I'm used to being Vegan, the full feeling I get from eating Vegan is perfect for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.