VeggieBoards banner

Constant bloating

1812 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  silva
I've been eating a vegan diet for about 2 1/2 months now, first month was great. Now my skin has turned to crap :( and me and my boyfriend are constantly bloated. He is eating no meat but still dairy and fish, as I do most the cooking hes eating alot of my vegan meals. Its normal stuff, veg pasta bake, stir frys, houmous and wraps, nothing mega processed. We think we have an intolerance to something but cannot figure it out, has to be something we both eat but nothing is new to us, all we have done is cut certain foods out.

Our bellys are swollen and full of air all the time and its not like trapped wind :/ feels different

Anyone have any ideas please?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Just want to add that its not soya because he doesnt have any soya in his diet really.
I am taking a vegan nutrition course online. Last week the topic was food combining. In this topic it talked about what happens when we eat certain foods together, say a big bean meal and some fruit afterwards.

Because these foods break down at a different rate you can get the fruit decomposing and sort of fermenting on top of the beans and causing gas and/or bloating.

This is just a thought, but one you might look at more closely.
Hmm ok thanks, il think about that some more
Without knowing exactly what you're eating, I can't help you with the bloating, but what kallyho said is a possibility. Do you maybe have a gluten sensitivity that had been more noticeable by adding more of it to your diet? I have a friend that is stick thin, but looks like she's pregnant with twins when she has anything with gluten.

The skin problem may be related, or could be a separate issue from the bloating. The first thing that came to mind is you may need more vitamin E. Are you eating enough healthy fats, especially omega-3? That is a common problem among vegetarians, and vegans even more so.

For your omega-3's, you want to eat lots of dark leafy greens, walnuts, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and ground flax seeds.

Here is an excellent link to great sources of vitamin E. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=111
How are you preparing and cooking your legumes? They can mess with your digestion, especially if you're not accustomed to preparing and eating them.

Any drastic diet change upsets the digestion until your body gets used to it. You can help yourself by chewing your food thoroughly and not overeating. You can eat smaller meals more frequently, drink enough water, and take a walk after dinner if feasible. :) Hang in there, for most people, digestion gets better with a veg diet. :)
Reactions: 1
While so many people have high praise for raw veggies improving their lives, they are the biggest bloaters for me.
If I have more than maybe one 4 inch piece, very well chewed, I'm in distress for hours.
I love raw zucchini, but the last time I had 1/2 of a normal sized one my stomach became painfully distended, with gas that didn't want to be let out of either end. I tried to belch to no avail. This went on for 3 hours til I left work and stopped for ginger ale. That helped, but it was 4 hours later.

Kallyhos point about combing fruit with protein has my attention. I never used to have problems, I'd have apples and PB, or beans and fruit all the time. Now that sometimes gives my stomach upset and gas, where individually I have no issue with.
My boyfriend and I have been vegan for just over a month and have found that we get a bit more bloated than we used to when we were l/o (although there is some evidence that at least some of this is down to gas:shy:).

I put it down to the increased amount of fibre in our diet - I thought we ate a reasonable amount of fibre before but our old lunches of bread and cheese have been mostly replaced by salads with hummus/chickpeas/beans etc. If that's the case, it should settle down once our bodies get more used to it. I hope.
Something that helped me, even before I went veg, was to have a warm drink either with the meal or just after it. It helps with digestion. I usually go for a nice green tea.

Also, this is going to sound weird, but remember to chew. A lot of people don't.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
chewing is totally important. Your food should be just about liquid before it goes down the hatch. I know the importance of this, but still bolt my food if I am really hungry. So chew, chew, chew.
Something that helped me, even before I went veg, was to have a warm drink either with the meal or just after it. It helps with digestion. I usually go for a nice green tea.

Also, this is going to sound weird, but remember to chew. A lot of people don't.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Huh. I hear that about green tea a lot, but it doesn't sit well for me with food. I can drink it fine when it's steeped right and my stomach is empty, but with a meal it messes me up!

Fennel seeds, that's the trick! Chew a few whole seeds for gas and bloating. I don't like them, but have seen them at Indian groceries candy coated.
Peppermint and ginger are also good.
There are teas made with all these things for digestion.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.