VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am so excited to have discovered these boards!

A run down on myself: I've been an omni my entire life but I was raised with an ex-hippie as a father. Back in the 80s when I was a kid, I ate tofu, bulgur, soy beans, etc. along with meats and everything else. Kids thought my school lunches were weird and gross, I was the first kid I knew to have whole wheat bread sandwiches! I've always had a pretty healthy diet with lots of beans, fruits, veggies, etc.

When I was in high school, I stopped eating beef. I think it was b/c of the fat content and like a lot girls of that age, I was trying to constantly "diet". I never was happy eating pork b/c I've always loved pigs and thought they were adorable and stopped eating pork probably before I quit beef. About 5 years ago, I started adding some beef back into my diet as well as some pork, I was trying to not be so rigid and explore some new food options. It didn't last long, my body just couldn't tolerate the beef very well and I really felt horrible eating my pig friends.

So now I eat poultry and seafood. For years, I've been buying chicken from an Amish farm that is sold in my local health food store. I started this b/c I started learning about factory farms (although not in great detail) and didn't want to support them. But only recently have I been thinking about it when I go out to eat...I've been looking at chicken on the menu and thinking that I shouldn't get it b/c it's not my kind of chicken. I've also been in the habit of buying Lean Cuisines for my lunches and been only buying meatless ones lately b/c I don't want to eat their crappy chicken.

Recently, for reasons I am not sure of, eggs gross me out. I never ate them very often but do like an omelet sometimes but have always hated the yolk part and the thought of what an egg is. Same with milk. I never liked it, except on cereal, and switched to soy milk about 6 months ago. Something seems odd to me about drinking something meant for a baby cow!

All of this and last week I saw part of Meet Your Meat and Food Inc. I couldn't get past a couple of minutes of Meet Your Meat, I was bawling my eyes out. I felt stupid about it and didn't tell anyone, even my husband. But I've been doing lots of research and think I am ready to quit meat and possibly animal products all together! I've had 3 days in the past week where all my meals were vegan, except for a sprinkle of cheese on a salad and I felt great. I've also been under the idea that I need all this protein in my diet, which would mostly come from animal products, but I know now that I can probably get it from plants if I plan it correctly. Yesterday I tried the cheddar Daiya and was pleasantly surprised. The only kind of cheese I will miss terribly is goat cheese, I love it on salads.

Anyway, sorry this is soooo long but I wanted to introduce myself and tell you my current situation. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You've definitely come to the right place
Tons of great information and helpful people willing to give their advice.

This is truly a wonderful thing you are doing and I wish you all the best in your journey.

P.S.
Daiya is awesome! My Wife and I have tried several other vegan cheeses before and to put it nicely they were all... awful. We spent a night at Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen and had dinner at one of the restaurants nearby where we tasted it for the first time. We've been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs8507 View Post

I've been doing lots of research and think I am ready to quit meat and possibly animal products all together!
That is great.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Welcome!

As said, this is a really good place for advice. I hope you find out what you need, and can make that last step towards veg*nism!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everyone : ) I've been having some bathroom issues with my new eating but I supposed that's to be expected. I am going out of town for the weekend with friends and we'll see how I do...they have no idea yet about my wanting to become a veggie so i wonder how they will react!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:

Thanks so much everyone : ) I've been having some bathroom issues with my new eating but I supposed that's to be expected. I am going out of town for the weekend with friends and we'll see how I do...they have no idea yet about my wanting to become a veggie so i wonder how they will react!
They'll probably react by thinking " Wow maggs is in the bathroom a lot".

Good luck with going out of town and eating veggie. Check out www.happycow.net for veg friendly places in the area where you're visiting. Www.veganeatingout.com also has some great info on all different kinds of restaurants and fast food options.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello and welcome, Maggs! As others have repeatedly said, you've come to the right place. Jump on in and ask questions and share your thoughts.

As far as how friends will handle your new lifestyle, I've found that it usually only becomes a big deal if you choose to make it one. Sure, we all have "those friends" who have to question everything (well, at least I do... lol)... but for the most part I'm sure your friends will be cool about it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
hi there and welcome.

you def at the right place, this forum is very helpful.

just remember its not a race to the finish, its about making small changes everyday to reach your goal which is being vegan. dont worry if you slip up every now and again in the beginning just get back on the wagon.

good luck with your trip.

I found actions speak louder then words when it comes to being a vegetarian. I dont try and advocate to much about why , what etc. I just eat the way I eat and if someone ask I would say.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question..if I am a veggie, then I'll naturally be eating more carbs, even though I understand about the difference b/t "good" and "bad" carbs ( whole grains vs refined ). But will I get too much sugar in my diet since the carbs turn to sugar? My friend is always trying to cut out sugar and it just got me thinking.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:

Question..if I am a veggie, then I'll naturally be eating more carbs, even though I understand about the difference b/t "good" and "bad" carbs ( whole grains vs refined ). But will I get too much sugar in my diet since the carbs turn to sugar? My friend is always trying to cut out sugar and it just got me thinking.
Carbs do break down into sugar, but it's not really the same thing as consuming actual sugar.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Hey Maggs,

I completely understand your dilemma!! I was pretty much in the same predicament that you are for awhile. I DO NOT like meat, for many reasons. But I realized, like you, that it is necessary to maintain a healthy diet. So I started searching for ways to succeed. I came across Meatless Mondays. If you haven't heard of em, just google them. Anyways- they post products/companies/food ideas that are vegetarian. I've just been going down the list trying different products to see what I like. Well- I came across Harmony Valley Vegetarian Mixes. This is so different. The aren't frozen or refrigerated- they're just a mix you add water to. And what's cool is it acts just like meat so I can serve it to my family and they don't even know (therefore they are eating healthier but don't even know it).

Check it out: think you may find this a great solution!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi maggs,
I am new to the whole veggie thing myself, and am trying to go vegan. i lost alot of weight on Atkins over the past year, and my bf is an avid carb-counter. So I do know alittle about carbs.. When you are watching carbs remember that whatever the carb count on a food label is, subtract the amount of fiber in the food and that is your actual carb count (example: if a slice of bread has 20grams of carbs and 3grams of fiber, then that bread's actual carb count is 17grams). also, you should be getting most of your carbs from veggies and fruits, as they are simple sugars and your body processes them better and they don't have such an effect on your blood sugar and insulin levels (I'm diabetic so this is big for me) Even though whole grains are better for you then refined grains, I would try to keep those at a minimum in your diet. Hope the advice helps!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well actually I don't think keeping grains to minimum on a veggie diet is a very good idea. Grains are a big part in the veggie and vegan food pyramid. They contain protein as well as other good stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts