VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to tell everyone I know, so that I'll be held to it.

This coming winter, I want to downhill ski.

When I was 20, I had a moderate accident that left me paralized waist down for hours, partially paralized for days, etc. It was weeks before I walked properly and years before the pain went away. That was 8 years ago.

Since then, I have been terrified of skis. I mean terrified. I see a ski hill and my heart races. I tried to cross country ski afterwards and broke into tears at the thought of going down a small hill. I took my skis off and walked down the 1 meter incline.

I hate being afraid like this; it isn't in my nature. Yet, everytime I look at a ski hill, I remember waking up from the fall, face in snow and realizing that I could not feel anything below my waist; like they weren't there. What I felt as I waited for the ski-doo ambulance and the 2 hour ride to the hospital replays in my mind when I think of skis. I hate that.

So, I am planning to get an instructor and have them, literally, hold my hand down the bunny hill. I expect to cry and sob the entire way up. I expect to vomit on the hill when it's over. I expect that I will end up sliding down on my butt a couple times before I get the nerve to go all the way down.

I realize that this is an irrational fear and I need to get over myself. So, hold me to this please

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To give you an idea of how nuts I am over this, I have a pounding heart just writing that out.

I seriously need to conquer this - it will only get worse.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I wish you the best of luck!! I am very proud to say I've dealt with two of my worst fears this year! The first was going to the dentist, and the second was flying. I was so freaked out about going to the dentist I started crying when he asked about my teeth!! I fell on my face when I was 10 and broke my front tooth and subsequently needed a lot of other dental work and I'm currently on my fourth set of front teeth (up to crowns now - next step - implants.. ughhh) and the process has been excruciating... but I survived (my teeth were actually okay too! just one small cavity)!! And actually went back 6 mos later for a cleaning without freaking out. I hadn't gone in over 3 yrs before I went to this new guy... who i like quite a bit!

Also, flying, which I just did this month! I had a 4+ hr long panic attack when I last flew when I was 15, not cause I'm afraid of crashing/dying, but I can't deal with being confined and getting sick (mmm airsickness) BUT! I flew to Michigan on July 11 and flew home on July 20 with relative ease! (and lots of drugs. haha)

I know how it feels to have irrational fears and lemmie tell you, it feels SO GOOD when you actually do something you're so afraid of!! When I wasn't in a coma from the meds I took, I couldn't stop smiling on the 11th! I couldn't believe that I did it and didn't freak out!! If I can do it, so can you!!! cause i'm a total weenie. hehe. Good luck!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone is telling me that I will feel much better and maybe able to take up cross country skiing again - which I used to love passionately, though I sucked at it.

Perhaps other of you can tell me your conquer the fears stories?

My mental health depends on getting over my phobia.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Aww.. trust me.. I know how you feel!! I would start to hyperventilate just imagining the inside of an airplane. I used to start to freak out just going to the airport to pick up OTHER PEOPLE! Try to think of how good you'll feel when you actually conquer your fear! Think of the END not the beginning. It helped me get through my fears.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Good luck. Skiing is my favorite sport, so I hope that someday you'll learn to share that love, too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I understand somewhat where you're coming from Krista. Ever since I was little and visited Niagara Falls I've had this fear of cliffs with rocks at the bottom. So for the last five years every time I'm near a cliff I make myself go to the edge and look over. At first I approached the edge sitting down, then on my knees and now I can stand there. I still fear falling down onto those rocks but now it doesn't stop me from seeing some beautiful views like this.

LL

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I´m working closely together with our psyhologist. Normally I´d say gradual reduction of fear would be nice, but he convinced me that it only enforces avoidance behaviour, so I`m now for the sudden enlightenment technique. You´re doing the right thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good Luck Krista.. just make sure you take lots of friends with you for support. And who knows.. maybe you'll be in the perfect state if mind whenever you finally go and you won't be scared at all.. maybe it will feel natural to you again and you'll learn to enjoy it all over again.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.. I live to snowboard and used to be scared of getting off of the lifts, but now I love it so much I don't let anything stop me!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Because of my OCD, I have had to conquer tons of irrational fears. For awhile, I was scared that if I didn't open the blinds and make a show of the window being locked, someone would come in. I had to look in my closets before bed, check outside the windows....and this is as, more or less, an adult person. I used to wash my hands everytime I touched anything foreign to me and felt like books I got from the library were contaminated....

Point is, these little rituals made me crazy. So, one day I decided I could stand no more, and started making myself face the irrational fears....THE ONLY WAY I COULD GET OVER THE FEAR WAS TO FACE IT! and not just to face it, but to like, roll around in it. Let my hands get filthy and eat, lick library books, leave the windows open while I slept.....

Sure, some of its kind of gross. But after I didn't die or go insane, I was ok!

My point is, to face your fear, you just have to conquer it, do it, roll around in it. Have someone you love and trust nearby. Once you face it, it won't haunt you anymore, and thats what you have to look forward to!!!!

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Good luck, krista! You can do this!

I had to face my fear of driving on that @#$% bridge. I hated that thing. Everytime I got near it, I would feel my hands clinch the steering wheel and my breathing start to get tight and I would pray that there was another way to get to the "mainland" without going on that @#$*% thing (and there is, if you don't mind driving, I think, 10 hours extra to go around...). But finally, in time, I got to where those narrow lanes didn't bother me, the span didn't bother me, and even people stopping on the bridge didn't bother me. Driving in the fast lane on the bridge still gets to me (a bit), but I'm working on that (which'll take me forever because I'm the eternal slow lane driver). I guess my point is the same as RBM & rabid_child's. If you want to conquer your fears, you have to face them head on and think about how good it will feel when you face this and win.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Krista - Good Luck, I know you can do this.

Rainbow Moon - I used to do stuff like that all the time.

On a note though - I have a waywayway more irrational fear - you know how some people are deathly afraid of spiders? I'm that way with moths. Anyone have hints on getting over that? They scare the living hell out of me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Krista--try taking a beginner ski course. The instructors will be used to dealing with students' nerves, and if you're with people who have never skied before, you won't get in over your head. You'll get used to it again, and it will hopefully boost your confidence. Before you even do that, go cross-country skiing on the flattest course you can find. Work your way up to hillier courses, before you go downhill skiing. Take as much time as you need--if it takes you more than one winter, so be it. Don't rush.

After a few frightening near-misses on my motorcycle, I retook the beginning rider course. It really helped my confidence level, and going back to basics not only showed how much I do know, it pointed out the areas that I need to work on.

I had wanted to ride from the first time I saw a motorcycle, but I didn't learn until my early twenties. I was extremely nervous about it, and after taking the beginning rider course, I really had to work up to riding in traffic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I considered a class, but I don't want to be with a group of people. I'd feel worse. I know how to ski; I'm just scared to. Having them going over the gear and talking would only make me worse. I'd rather strap the skis on, have an instructor go up with me and come down with me. I'll happily pay the $40 per 30 minutes for that

I have to rush into it or I won't even do it. The more I wait, the more afraid I am. I did try the cross country ski stuff, but I can't even put them on now without jitters. I'm sick of this.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then pay for some private lessons, and take the plunge. Hopefully the sheer joy of movement and the wind in your face will override the terror.

Anyway, a little fear is a healthy thing in a risk-taking activity, such as skiing or riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Krista, for years I had a big fear of heights. I mean big. I finally decided to do somethng about it. I went to a flying school and did a parachute jump... with the instructor strapped to my back (yeah, I know ....chickensh*t way).

But you know something... it amazed me.... the view, the wind, the feeling of freedom... and the incredible adrenalin rush. Made for a great experience. I did it twice that day. I went back a few more times, took a little training, etc. I'll be going back pretty soon to do a solo jump when I have some free time (it's not local, I have to travel to get there) and am now looking forward to it.

Two suggestions you might want to try. First, consider giving waterskiing a shot to help build up some confidence or even balance... that's another blast. Second, call the ski place, or go there in person. Talk with one of the instructors and explain your fear. Ask them if they'd take a couple of trips with you solo without the group. It might cost a few bucks extra, but then you'll face that fear and realize hey, it's not so bad after all.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Oooh skiing. I love to cross-country ski. Before I started doing it, I was terrified. I was afraid of falling and getting hurt, possibly causing an avalanche, skiing into a tree, etc. Finally, in high school, in one of my classes, we went a few times. It was great. I haven't have skiied since, but I would love to go again. It's sort of fun to fall on your butt in the snow and skid several feet. Hehe. At least it is to me.
It's definitely worth being around the beautiful snow covered mountains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts