VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

It's been about a month since i last ate meat or poultry.I am not a vegeterian since i consume seafood but things remain difficult.

I want to make clear that i do not want to take any kind of supplements . Any thing i take is by eating food.

Throughout the week I eat lentils,seafood,beans,giant beans ,green beans , spinach,spaghetti with soya mince,peas.usually i accompany each food with 1-2 slices of whole grain bread and a Greek salad ( olive oil,olives,tomatoes,cucumber,green pepper,onion,oregano and feta cheese )

For breakfast i eat cornflakes with 1,5 % fat milk or nothing at all .And for dinner i don't know it depends . Sometimes a pizza without bacon or ham ,or an omelette or boiled eggs or cornflakes again .I drink plenty of water each day about 5-6 litres a day.

The soya milk that i buy has plenty of sugar so i try to eat less desserts ( once or twice a week i get an ice cream).

In the afternoons,usually after working out i drink a Nestea ( peach).

Sometimes i also eat bananas,peaches,grapes,apples .

The thing is that i feel really weak since i stopped eating meat and i can barely last 1 hour while running in medium pace ( i exercise by running outdoors once or twice a week).The worse part is that i ain't losing weight ( i have to lose 13 kilos ).

So that's all my current diet . If you have any recommendations concerning anything at all , i am all ears . Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Do you intend to stop eating seafood?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Eat less grains and more dark leafy green vegetables. It's not like cereal is the healthiest choice for breakfast, nor is pizza the best choice for dinner. Especially for an athlete who needs hydration and nutrients.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kackleboe View Post

I want to make clear that i do not want to take any kind of supplements . Any thing i take is by eating food.
Why? Do you avoid food that has been fortified? (I assume not since you consume milk, pizza, cornflakes...)

Quote:

The thing is that i feel really weak since i stopped eating meat and i can barely last 1 hour while running in medium pace ( i exercise by running outdoors once or twice a week).The worse part is that i ain't losing weight ( i have to lose 13 kilos ).
Are you a regular runner? I had a difficult time in the transition from when I was an omnivore to my veganism. Just trying to find the right foods to sustain me and reimagine my diet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a bit of difficulty with energy as well, cycling rather than running. Beans, nuts, and more fruit were the answer for me. I too lived off of cereal at first, didn't go so well heh. Try some beans/nuts/rice for a bit and see how you feel.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I don't get why pizza is seen as so bad for you, it's not fried or anything. Have you been following what nutrients you are getting? You can find an online tracker where you input what you are eating, then you will be able to tell if you are getting enough fat, carbs, and protein for yourself, and see what you are deficient in and fix it. I've used fitday.com, it works well, there are a lot of other free ones as well.

·
Registered
982 Posts
In general, any new way of eating can take some time to adjust to. As others mentioned, you need to find the foods that sustain you. Tracking your food is a great tip no matter what your goals... it helps you to see what you may be lacking at a glance and helps you achieve personal fitness or weight goals.

Please consider giving up seafood as it's not necessary for proper nutrition. Also, continuing to eat seafood without intending to give it up would mean you could lose your account here on VB.... this site is intended for vegetarians or those who intend to become one. Contrary to what seems to be common belief, seafood is not vegetarian.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know but i heard that it is not good using food supplements but getting them directly from food is better .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since i stopped eating meat and poultry immediately i thought i could not last long if i did the same with seafood.So i am trying to exclude it from my diet gradually .

I would like to thank you all for your answers and i will try to use the info you gave me .Have a pleasant day !

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
What are you eating for each meal throughout the day? All I can figure from your post is that you eat cornflakes or pizza for breakfast, and eat salads a lot and bread and water, and some other things but not when and in what quantity. I'm also lost on the logic of monitoring high-sugar but nutritious soy milk but drinking high sugar and nutritionally void nestea in the afternoon each day. Can you give us a better example of what you're eating for meals and snacks, how much how often? You may not realize that you need a much higher volume of veggies to make up for the calories in meat.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Quote:

I don't know but i heard that it is not good using food supplements but getting them directly from food is better .
You heard it? Based on what, someone's word?

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is people have an aversion to food supplements when most of the food is already fortified (not really any different than taking supplements). Milk often has added vitamin D (Maybe others? I don't drink milk so I don't know). Flour is fortified, cereals are almost always fortified, and so on.

I don't understand people's aversion to supplements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Every morning either i eat nothing or i eat kellogs all bran with cow milk ( 1,5 % fat ) .Every other day i switch the cow milk with soya milk . I pour 2 cups of cereals and 2 glasses of either milk in a bowl .I also drink plenty of water.

For lunch :1 glass of water , 1-2 medium slices of whole grain bread,a salad which is made of 2 tomatoes,half a green pepper, half an onion,4-5 olives,and 100 ml of olive oil,2 slices of feta cheese,all these are standard every day.The only thing that changes is the main dish which which is : Monday:bean soup about 3-4 cups ,Tuesday
eas 2-3 cups,Wednesday:green beans 3-4 cups ,Thursday:tomatoes/eggplants stuffed with rice ( 2 tomatoes and 1 eggplant ) , Friday: spinach with rice or spaghetti witch soya mince ,Saturday : a sandwich of whole grain bread , 1 sliced tomato , lettuce , olives and 2 slices of Milner cheese ,Sunday:boiled or friend anchovy( which i try to gradually replace with i don't know what else
) .

Afternoon:Randomly two or three times a week , i make a fruit salad of 1 apple , 1 banana,10 cherries,a pear,5-6 pieces of melon or watermelon.When i exercise twice a week ( whenever i can) i consume a Nestea as i said before because i makes me feel completely rejuvenated .

Dinner: Cereals just like in the morning or omellete once a week ( 2 eggs ,pepper , salt nothing else) , or an 8 slice pizza ( medium size , vegetable cheese , fresh tomatoes,olives,mushrooms,green pepper) once a week .Mostly it's cereals for dinner .

After dinner : 4-5 Litres of water and once or twice a week a chocolate ice cream ( 3 balls) .

I hope i am much clearer this time rabid_child . I am sorry if i confused anyone ^^

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cornflakes are going to spike your blood sugar. They are highly processed and have little fiber or protein. There are some good frozen high fiber muffins out there that are far more balanced and taste great if you need something quick to eat. Peanut butter on whole wheat toast (try Ezekiel--it's frozen in most stores) is another great breakfast. Add a piece of fruit at breakfast too if you can. Lunch looks good. Dinner looks very junkie to me. The main advice I would give is:

1. Eat enough good fat. It is not the enemy and will help you process vitamins and micronutrients.
2. Eat enough of a variety of fruits and vegetables, 5-8 servings. You need to eat the rainbow to make sure that you are getting different vitamins and micronutrients (especially antioxidants.)
3. Make sure you are eating whole grains. They are a great source of protein. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and quinoa are all great sources of fiber and protein.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts