VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never cooked with tahini nor eaten anything with tahini. I have a recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of tahini. 15 oz Joyva Tahini @ $6. Is that the usual price?

I was looking to purchase tahini online (maybe it'd be cheaper in larger bottles), and i noticed there's tahini and roasted tahini.. are they the same thing? And then there's tahina.. well the bottle says tahina but the description of the product says tahini. i googled tahina and they said it's different from tahini. Then there's sesame paste. It says tahini is made of sesame paste. But after i bought a sesame paste at a Chinese market, my google search said it's different from the hulled sesame of tahini.

I noticed the reviews of people saying they're bitter. What is the best brand to buy?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I don't know what the deal is with Joyva... or Maranatha brands, for that matter. They are both brown, very bitter, and expensive. Joyva is okay with crackers, but I wouldn't use it in a recipe again. The bitterness kills everything.

There is a middle eastern market near my parents house, and that's where I buy tahini now. All of the brands they offer are imported and are white, very creamy, mild and nutty, and they easily pour out of the jar. I pay $8.50 for 32 ounces. It makes amazing hummus and also a great tahini dipping sauce for falafels. Whenever I've eaten in middle eastern restaurants, the tahini based stuff they've brought to the table has been white.
Thanks for the info on Joyva, guess i'm going to return that one. $8.50 for 32 ounces, that's a good price, what brand is that? i might try to look for it at the two middle eastern stores near by. i bought the Joyva at a natural foods store.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.