VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Born a vegetarian with meat eating friends, I am a confused vegetarian. In an indirect way, I have always been justifying my vegetarianism.<br><br><br><br>
I went through my pre teens believing that Non-veg-ism involved too much blood shed and entered my teens to stay vegetarian out of religion.<br><br><br><br>
Once while voicing my non-violence emphasized concerns over vegetarianism a meat-eating friend countered, that I killed plants when I devoured veggies. After all, arent plants supposed to have life? Over time, I decided that I had no sufficient reason for being a vegetarian, health never having been a prime concern anyway.<br><br><br><br>
In my non-conformist avatar, I once ordered a meat dish in a restaurant only to leave it untouched.<br><br><br><br>
Today, as I live overseas, by myself, there are more reasons supporting the consumption of meat. And I continue to remain a confused vegetarian. Just wondering if all of you vegetarians out there have a reason for being the way you are. Am I a one-of-a-kind specie? Are there any vegetarians trying to find a reason for living green?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, plants die when we eat them. However, it is wasteful to go out of our way breaking the stems of plants and trees for no reason at all.<br><br><br><br>
It is immoral to be glutanous: We use what we need to survive. If you are hungry, why kill your neighbor to eat? Take the lowest lifeform to fill yourself. And that is plants.<br><br><br><br>
We can live perfectly happily without killing higher-life forms (animals and humans) that can very much feel pain and suffering. To keep killing to a minimum, I stick to eating the lowest lifeforms. Plants are living, and I respect that. I wont kill them unless I need to: to eat.<br><br><br><br>
I do not believe that a plant will cry for days and stop eating when its "baby" is taken from it. But a cow does everytime her newborn calf is taken from her to become veal.<br><br><br><br>
I'd rather eat a bug than eat a cow, if I had to make the choice. It's about chosing living things that have the ability to suffer less. Many animals (dogs, horses, pigs, many cats and cows, believe it or not) will go to the grave of a beloved master and lie there until it dies of starvation because of its love. A bug will not die beside the body of its beloved friend-bug.<br><br><br><br>
It is about minimizing suffering as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
^^^ ITA!<br><br><br><br>
I also think it's important to leave a lighter footprint, meat production takes a huge toll on the environment.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome to VB!<br><br><br><br>
I don't do it so much about 'life' as about suffering and pain. Plants are alive, but I don't believe that they can suffer or feel pain.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Who wants to eat blood ? Yuck !<br><br><br><br>
Also... (staying with mammals to keep it simple) if you wouldn't eat your neighbour's dog, what justifies your eating his cow ?<br><br><br><br>
Welcome to VB ! I'm sure if you surf around on this board, you will find plenty of reasons to be veggie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts