VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very confused about Vitamin D. I know D2 is plant derived. I had thought that D3 was always animal derived, but recently I bought a bottle of Kiss my Face soap which was labled "no animal ingredients" and when I read the label I saw it contained D3. I went to their website and under the FAQ's they say that all of their products are vegan except for a small number of products containing honey and/or beeswax (the soap I bought wasn't one of them).<br><br><br><br>
So, does anyone know if there is such a thing as plant-derived D3? Or is KMF lying?? =sigh=

·
Registered
478 Posts
The problem is, many companies don't consider D3 to be animal derived because it is so far processed from it's natual source. Vit. D3 is always from an animal source, whether these companies like it or not. It just annoys the dickens outta me that they try to claim otherwise with stuff like this.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i've been wondering about it too.<br><br>
what exactly is it derived from?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Vitamin D3 is a tough issue. My dad owns a small health supplement company, and he's had a vegetarian customer ask about D3. He contacted the supplier, but they were about as much help as an inflateable dartboard, so he got me to do some research, and I checked out some stuff, and it appears to be that D3 is derived from either meat, or from lanolin. Lanolin is a product derived from processing sheep's wool. This wouldn't be considered vegan, and I would class it as an animal product.<br><br><br><br>
My advice would be to write a letter to the comapny about their labelling policy:<br><br><br><br>
Dear Kiss My Face, I bought some soap which is made by your company not very long ago. I was curious to see that the soap said that it contains no animal ingredients, yet also the label stated that it contains vitamin D3. The problem here is that there is a conflict in labelling. On one hand, the soap contains no animal ingredients, and on the other hand, the label states that the soap contains vitamin D3. Last time I checked, vitamin D3 was derived from animals, usually from lanolin. Would it be at all possible that you review you labelling strategy in order to prevent any further f**k ups"<br><br><br><br>
Obviously, i don't recommend being as rude!! I was just on a roll there! But you get the general idea!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i thought there were also plant sources of lanolin?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I posted about this in the vitamin thread...my vitamins say the same thing, no animal products, but they have D3. I went to the website and read their info about it, and they basically said that animal products are *used*, but it's so processed that by the time you get the final product there is nothing from animals *in it*. Kind of like what some people say about refined sugar and whatnot. Anyway, that's just what they said, I'm not saying it's vegan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts