VeggieBoards banner

Is it wrong to participate in a business that profits from the sale of meat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback.

As a vegetarian/vegan - is it wrong to participate in a business that profits from the sale of meat? (I.e. a restaurant, grocery store, etc..)

cheers!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If youmean that you work in a cafe that serves meat, and you need the job then no, its not wrong.

If you work in a butchers or slaughter house. Then yes that is wrong.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My husband used to work as a guard in a Jewish slaughter house, he needed to have money to live, I would say depending on what your doing it maybe wrong or right.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Assuming animal slaughter isn't the only thing one has an ethical problem with, it would be difficult to establish a standard that isn't completely arbitrary. There are few jobs out there that don't in some way profit from something that is widely considered to be unethical, even if the worker(s) or the business itself isn't directly involved. I mean if I work in a hotel and 10% of the people who spend the night in the hotel do so with the company of a hooker, does that mean I profit from prostitution?

I put maybe... It's not as easy a question to answer as it might seem.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
It depends...
- what are your other options? can you earn a living in a way that is more truly vegan?
- what are your intentions? Example: are you a shareholder in a company that profits from animal cruelty because you intend to influence the company to start adopting more humane methods, or if it's a restaurant have you done anything to increase the number of vegan options on the menu?
- at what level are you profiting? Example: Do you actually work for the offending business or is it just part of your company's 401k mutual fund?
- what are you doing with your income? Do you send 10% of your income to animal charities or are you saving up to buy a Hummer?
- what do you do in your spare time? Are you volunteering for animal causes? This could offset some of the evil deeds done by the nonveg business
- are you out as a veg*n? If so, great, you're passively influencing others to think about the face on their plate. If not, is that because you're undercover and you're collecting evidence against them? I can't think of other good reasons to conceal your veg*nism in the workplace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Theoretically, it is wrong. In reality, we can't be perfect but we can do something about it to lessen the wrong deeds

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

It depends...

- are you out as a veg*n? If so, great, you're passively influencing others to think about the face on their plate. If not, is that because you're undercover and you're collecting evidence against them? I can't think of other good reasons to conceal your veg*nism in the workplace.
Bullying mainly.

I have one workmate who likes to attack anything that's different. He's constantly bringing out the old "Well, I like to have energy so I have to eat meat. I wouldn't want to be a string bean" (He likes to eat, is what he likes. He looks more like a potato, which I think is a bit less flattering than a string bean)

But the way I choose to combat his bullying, is to not let them know I've dropped meat until the next time we have a work dinner. That way, they'll have been able to see that I didn't lose energy, didn't become more irritable than usual, didn't become drawn and didn't turn into a loon shoving pamphlets down their throats. That will make me more approachable, then what I say might get through. If I thought I could just 'come out' then I would. But a slow process is best. Then, if they do reject it and start being horrible I know it's not my approach, it's just them.

Strangely enough, that's how I work at my job too. I make ads (as one of my roles in the media) which means part of my pay is directly, or indirectly, linked to the meat industry in some way. At the moment, I'm a small fry, so all I can do is talk about the marketting benefits of adopting organic farming methods/sourcing local organic foods and selling cruelty free products. But I feel it gets through.

Then one day I'll be in charge of everything, and it'll all change for the better....you'll see.

/evil glint in eye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends on your motivations for vegetarianism. There are plenty of veggies out there who just make a life choice, and don't have the faintest care for animal welfare. It may not sound so nice, but it's definitely true. Of course, there are so many reasons to be a veggie. For one, the longest living people in the world are vegetarians.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts