1 medium red pepper

1 medium yellow pepper

1 medium tomato

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 cup frozen corn kernels

2 cans black beans, drained

Instructions:

------------------------------------------------------

Bring 2 1/4 cups water to a boil and stir in couscous. Cover the pot and remove it from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile in a large bowl stir together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, and cumin. Chop the green onions and enough of the green tops to make 1 cup. Pour them into the bowl.

Seed and chop the bell pepper into bite sized pieces and pour into bowl as you go. Do the same for the tomato and then add the chopped cilantro.

Pour the frozen corn into a colander and rinse to soften slightly. Drain and add to bowl.

Stir everything in bowl together then drain and rinse the black beans in cold water, making sure to rinse and drain thoroughly before adding to vegetable mixture.

Fluff your couscous with a fork, making sure to break up all chunks before adding both couscous and vegetable mixture into a large serving bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix couscous and vegetable thoroughly and to coat with dressing.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at once of refrigerate until ready

Additional comments:

------------------------------------------------------

I could LIVE on this all summer!! So refreshing - and it'll last several days in the fridge (if it doesn't get eaten).

This is my stand-by for those omni BBQ's where you're wondering what to bring to WOW the crowd...

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Well, you did it again! I was looking around for something different,and decided to try this recipe. All I have to say is WOW!!!

This stuff is fabulous! I'm so full, but I keep going back to the fridge for one more bite. I'm thinking about adding jalapenos.

Highly recommend this recipe.

Absolute yummy heaven.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My love affair with tabouli has ended. This stuff rocks-I now have a new favorite lunch salad. I just finished making a bowl, and I could tell it was a winner even before I chilled it and let the flavors blend. I can't wait for it to chill and blend so I can see what the final product tastes like. I used ½ a cup of diced sun-dried tomatoes instead of fresh tomato, though. I do the same thing with tabouli; it extends the shelf life from the usual 2 - 3 days to up to a week. This is useful if you're the only one eating it, or if for whatever reason you don't expect it to be eaten right away. I also like the raisin-like taste and chewy mouthfeel they give to grain-based salads.

Many thanks to Sally for bumping the thread. I probably never would have noticed it otherwise.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Something just occurred to me. Since this is a cold salad, theres probably no need to cook the couscous. You can probably just make it the same way you make taboulithrow everything together with 2 cups of cold water, and refrigerate overnight. Tabouli is traditionally made with #2 bulgur, and couscous is a much finer grind than that. I assume it would just soak up all the water in a matter of minutes. It also probably wouldnt stick together as much, making it much easier to separate and fluff the cereal.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couscous isn't the same as bulgur though. I tried couscous with cold water once many years ago and it was gummy and pasty. I may have done something else drastically wrong as well, I don't know, I just know it was bad.

Try it and report back, would you? I think it should work, theoretically.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Yeah, with couscous, it's not just a matter of rehydrating it, as it is with bulgar. Couscous is a Pasta made with wheat flour, and you need the heat to develop the proteins in the flour.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yeah, I should have went to wiki before I posted. Couscous is sort of an endospermic pasta; rehydrating with cold water may not work. If it doesnt work, I may try to work this recipe into sort of a Mexican Tabouli, using #1 or #2 bulgur in place of the couscous. This would have the advantage of being an extremely easy to prepare salad that can be assembled in a matter of minutes, yet be eaten for several days on end. It would be almost a complete meal in itself, since it would have corn, legumes, and raw chopped vegetables (onions and cilantro), as opposed to regular middle Eastern tabouli, which is primarily a grain dish. You could just dump some in a bowl, warm up a piece of pita bread, and top it off with a beverage for a real quick and easy lunch or dinner.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've made it with quinoa and rice (of course I had to cook the quinoa and rice first) but those obviously take longer and unless I have extra sitting around, I'm just too lazy sometimes. Plus in the summer I hate heating up the kitchen too long - I think it would be really good with bulgar, I just never remember to look for it at the bulk aisle.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ive already started playing around with the numbers to see how much bulgur to use to match the same volume as a 10-ounce box of couscous. I found that couscous and #2 bulgur require the same amount of water for rehydration. So just substitute 10 ounces of bulgur and 2 cups water, and youre good to go.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I made my "Mexican tabouli" a couple of days ago. It worked quite well. I upped the lime juice and vinegar a bit, because I've had problems in the past with Mexican-type salads not having any dressing flavor. I think I overcompensated a bit, though-maybe 3 tablespoons would have been a little better. I used the following ingredients, which represents sort of a hybrid of classical Armenian Tabouli with TNS' Confetti Couscous recipe:

10 ounces #2 bulgur

2 cups water

¼ cup lime juice

¼ cup olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 bunch cilantro, scissored, stems discarded

4 ounces red onion, thinly sliced

3 ½ ounces frozen bell pepper slices, diced

¾ cup diced sun-dried tomatoes

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 small (7 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed

1 teaspoon Lawry's lemon pepper

There was no need to add the ingredients individually, or in any sort of specific order. I just threw it all in a bowl, tossed it like a big dog, and stuck in the fridge overnight.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Woo! I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering if you'd tried it. I really like the lime flavour in the dressing (usually add more) so I might leave it as you have it.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I ate some more last night, and I noticed that the strong lime flavor had diminished a bit. Im guessing that this is a result of the flavors blending. So maybe ¼ cup of lime juice is about right after all. Its still holding up well, despite the fact that its several days old now. I attribute this largely to the substitution of sun-dried tomato for fresh tomato, which is the limiting factor in the shelf life of tabouli.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That sounds absolutely deslish! I was planning on bringing a couscous salad to my environemtal science classes potluck next week and think I just found the perfect one!

Thanks so much for the recipe...I can't wait to try it

·
Registered
21 Posts
This sounds SOOO good for the summer. I need more recipes like this to eat on my lunch break - whatever wont make me feel like I'm "with child" all afternoon. Oi, my eating habits have become so main-stream I feel like such a hog after eating a Veggie Burger on my lunch break

ThanX! for this Recipe - sounds awesome

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.