VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of off the wall, but I didn't know who else to bring this "health concern" to.

I became a vegan about a month ago, and for the most part eat pretty healthfully (though quite heartily) and my system seems to have made a pretty good transition to the lifestyle.

Living on a college campus, though, I am surrounded by people willing to debate the merits of veganism. Today, one of my friends, who is particulary persuasive and whom I like very much, persuaded me to go with him to a restaurant downtown where we each got big fat slices of cheescake. Not only did I eat my entire peanut butter fudge cheescake, I also ate the half of my friends' that he could not finish. (In terms of sheer quantity, this is not so ridiculous compared with my usual).

About an hour later, it hit me like a rock. My stomach hurt and I felt all but naseuous. This foul reaction continued for many hours, and I recently went to the bathroom and my urine was stinky and bright yellow.

My question is... is it possible that my body has become somehow unadapted (bad word) to dairy in this not so long time frame? Has anyone had any experiences with eating animal products after going without for some time? How long can I expect to feel "off" before being "back to normal"?

By the way- shortly after eating the cheescake I began thinking of the poor dairy cows with their swollen udders; compound this with the effect the dairy had on me, and you can rest assured that I am not convinced that veganism is not the best choice, if you can figure out what I am saying with all these double negatives)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an afterthought, I guess I could have entitled this post "effects of dairy on vegans" or something of that nature, and could have just stated that I had eaten some dairy after going some time without it.

Reading over the thread, I can't think for the life of me why I posted all the stuff I did. I apologize for the unneccesarily long and strange post; I hope I didn't make a terrible first impression on all you healthy VBers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strong and bright urine is typically a sign of dehydration and, after finishing off that much cheesecake, you probably were in need of some serious fluids.

Perhaps the vegans here can offer some other insights....

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Yah. I'd say a slice and a half of very rich cheesecake will do that to anyone.

I don't know that the body could stop processing dairy after only a month...

·
Registered
750 Posts
the majority of vegans i know are still not allergic to dairy products even after years and years... most people say that that claim is false

i was always lactose intolerant, so when i finally stopped eating dairy 5 years ago, my lactose interolances became much stronger so now when someone does slip me some dairy i get quite ill, to the point im home and sick and in pain for a day or 3

the dehydration thing does sound right, and eating a large quantity of an ultra rich food could definitely make you sick to your stomach afterwards, so i would say both krista and charity are mostlikely correct

hope ya feel better

Caroline

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a similar experience after being vegan for a short period of time. We went to visit his parents for the holidays and they were very kind to make all veggie meals. The second morning we were there I had horrible stomach problems and found out they cooked everything with butter. It may just be a coincidence, but I think not.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, butter is ultra rich. Anything rich tends to upset one's stomach, especially when you HAVEN'T been eating rich food for a while.

I'm not a vegan, but I rarely eat butter. When I do, my stomach rolls. The richness of butter, cream cheese, full fat cream all are rich, heavy foods that will lay in your stomach for hours. If you're not used to it, or are just more aware of it, you'll feel like crap.

Next time you gorge yourself on cheesecake, have a few glasses of water with it.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
But "sticky" urine? If it was really sticky, I'd go to the doctor.

But yes, after not eating dairy a while, we lose some of our lactose enzymes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone,

Thanks for your kind words.

After a day of relatively wholesome food and a relaxing walk through the park, I am feeling much better. I think you guys are right that it was as much "gorging myself" on rich food as eating dairy that was to blame for my gastroenteral distress. Nevertheless, milk still sucks.

Thalia- ha ha, thank goodness it wasn't sticky pee.. yes, things could have been worse.

v3gan- the basic argument he used on me was a sort of philisophical "cost benefit analysis"... I am an environmental and ethical vegetarian, and his argument was that if you live your life in a generally conciencious way in a world filled with people who constantly exploit it, that's commendable. The question being, if you enjoy small amounts of dairy/eggs every once in a while, is it really worth the imperceptible environmental impact to entirely cut them out of your diet? -Which, actually, I think is a decent argument. If you try to alleviate environmental and animal exploitation 99 percent of the time and every once in a while behave like the rest of the population and have a slice of cheescake, you are still way ahead of everyone else, right?

Oh, well. I guess it kind of backfired as I was sick as a dog after eating the darned stuff. I really admire all you guys for sticking to your guns and not caving into peer pressure, though; doing what you know is right in your heart of hearts. It can be rough. I hope to follow your fine example.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn

If you try to alleviate environmental and animal exploitation 99 percent of the time and every once in a while behave like the rest of the population and have a slice of cheescake, you are still way ahead of everyone else, right?

I think it best not to define your actions based on what others have done, you should do what is best for you. I didnt become vegan to be ahead of other people or be better than them, i became vegan to be true to myself. Now i could be true to myself 99% of the time and "cheat" 1% of the time, but in truth with math like that im really just "cheating" myself 99% percent of the time and being true to myself 1% of the time.

if you ask me your friend isnt much of a friend. willing to debate, thats cool. try and persuade you to do something you said you wouldn't because it conflicts with your morals, not good.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you certain that you didn't take vitamins that day? Urine is known to be very stinky and yellow if you've ingested vitamins. ther more vitamins, the more stinky and yellow. I really can't understand why cheesecake would do that to you. Hmm. think really hard......

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
riboflavin (B2 i think) makes pee look like highlighter fluid.

stinky pee could be a UTI, dehydration, or way too much protein in the diet (lots of urea produced)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
and beta carotene i think as well. my multivitamins do it to me and i read somewhere that it was because of the large amount of beta carotene in them (i already eat more than enough in my diet so a lot of it probably isn't usable)

i don't know whether or not dairy is high in beta carotene but it's a thought.

as for stomach cramps, i don't know if it's a case of rich food or if you're growing an intolerance to dairy. i haven't tested it myself. i'm always tempted by ice cream or cheesecake but i remind myself that it will most likely make me quite sick if i ate it, and after a while you lose the taste for dairy anyway. i sneak milk chocolate on occassion in small amounts and it never tastes as good as it was when i was omni.

peanut butter fugde cheesecake does sound very heavy though (and tasty). a couple of times i caved and had chocolate cake that wasn't vegan and it didn't make me sick but i did feel really heavy and had way more of a sugar buzz off it than i ever would have in the past.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
majake- It's true, we shouldn't compare ourselves to everyone else.

It hurts me what you said about my friend, though; no, he really is a friend. Just because someone thinks differently than you and doesn't believe eliminating all animal products from their life is morally important doesn't make them a bad person, even if it means they want to persuade you to their way of thinking. My friend is compassionate in many other ways, and in fact he cares about me and wants me to live a good life which is why he took the time to explain his viewpoints to me; I see it as that more than him necessarily trying to persuade me to go against my morals.

Heck, I'm in college and I'm trying to figure out what my morals are. I just decided to be a vegan a month ago, so I don't think its unreasonable for someone to challenge/question it. I've also changed my political views and my religion in the past couple years, so yeah I guess its a time of growth and self discovery for me.

And others- you're right, the whole urine thing could have been vitamins. I do try to take a multivitamin (with B12)every day, though I forget about every other day, and I think I remembered yesterday. Interesting trivia about vitamins: a few years back, they did an in depth study of New York's sewer system, and found, among other things, thousands of undigested Centrum vitamins. Also, Total cereal acheives the 100%RDA for iron by putting ground iron filings in their cereal. You don't believe me? A simple science experiment confirms it: dissolve total in water and let it become a soggy mush, then drop a strong magnet into the bowl. Let it sit for some time, come back, and you will find iron filings adhered to the magnet (I did this experiment as a kid) Definitely all the iron you need in a day, but not in a particularly absorbable form.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I suffer with bladder problems to begin with, so the smell of my urine often reflects what I've eaten or had to to drink that day. The color varies, too. Since you think you took your vitamin, it very well may have been that. I have been drinking some stuff called Noni juice for my health and noticed my urine was a brighter yellow. (normally, it's clear like water) I can drink coffee and the rest of the day my urine smells like coffee. Every person's body reacts differently, your body may be sensitive in ways that others may not be. Personally, if the problem had persisted, I would have suggested going to the doc, but since it got better, then you more than likely were experiencing food/vit. related problems. When it happens to me, I just load up on water and flush the stuff right out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts