VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is (or rather last night was ) the time to set our clocks back by one hour.

I'd like to recommend a small freeware utility that helps synchronize your computer clock with various atomic clocks, so you will have the correct time. It's called Neutron, is only a 6 KB download, and was voted as one of the best freeware utilities ("Pricelessware") by participants in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup. It's available here:

http://keir.net/neutron.html

·
Registered
780 Posts
The hardware clock in my computer isn't very accurate; if I don't set it for a couple months it gets off by 10 minutes or so. I set it up to sync with an atomic clock every time I boot and it always stays at the correct time (within a second or so). It takes a little longer to boot though.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't comment on OS X, since I don't have that on any of my computers.

But XP does indeed have a "built in" time-check feature using the internet. Neutron works on Windows platforms other than XP but also on XP. Many XP users still prefer to use Neutron, for the following reasons:

XP allows a choice between two time servers; Neutron offers 8.

XP automatically checks the time only once a week; Neutron checks it each time you start the program. Moreover, Neutron can be easily placed in the Start Up menu, so will run every time you boot up. (Most people seem to prefer this option.)

XP's automatic weekly check requires the program to be running in the background 24/7, using system resources; Neutron can be set to shut itself off right after performing the check/sync. So it would not continue to run and use resources in the background.

For those who would want to use XP's time checker but want the time checked more often than once a week, there is another freeware utility to adjust the interval between checks:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_inet_time.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.