VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again ...
So.. not wanting to overthink things or be perfectionist about this ( as I used to tend to do..) .. in terms of a healthy vegan diet, which I seem to have mastered relatively quickly and easily..what are complete proteins? What does this even mean?! If you're eating pulses, grains, seeds etc. , what's 'incomplete' about that? Do things really need to be consumed at the same meal to 'complete' each other?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "complete protein" theory is a myth and the author who wrote about it later revised the book to exclude it.

As long as you eat the foods you mentioned (legumes, and fruits, veg) you should be just fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I found a good website that explains protein http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/artic...n-veg-diet.php and it says towards the bottom:

Quote:
However, vegetarians and vegans don't need to worry about complete and incomplete protein. It is NOT NECESSARY for vegetarians and vegans to combine specific protein foods at one sitting to make complete protein.

Complementary Protein Theory Debunked:

Scientists used to think that vegetarians, and especially vegans, would develop protein deficiency if they didn't get eight or nine essential amino acids all together in proper amounts at every meal.

Frances Moore Lappé, author of 'Diet For A Small Planet', is well known for the theory of combining complementary proteins at each meal. In the 20th Anniversary Edition of her book, she has altered her views in light of new knowledge about amino acid storage.
Yay! I remembered correctly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts