VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I thought maybe science-minded people might see this if I placed it here. I have a question.

Last night I was looking at a fairly bright red piece of pottery. It was sitting on the floor, which is white, and the cupboard behind it was also white. I suddenly realized that I could see the red pottery as gray if I chose. It was almost like voluntary colorblindness. Now, as an art student, I know of and have experienced the effect of complementary color hallucination (when you see a color's complement after you stare at it a long time: for instance, if I stared at a yellow star, then looked at a white background, I'd see the same star but I'd see it in violet) many times. I've never experienced this, though - what I'd assume was seeing a color and its complement simultaneously, which will turn the color I'm seeing into a neutral gray of just the shade and tone I saw last night. Does anyone know what might cause this or if it's a phenomenon I could read more about somewhere? I tried to google it but wasn't very successful. It wasn't exactly disturbing but it was sort of...surprising, at least.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I have had similar, but slightly different experiences when looking at things.

I don't have a scientific explanation (shoulda taken that sensation and perception psych class).

Sound like a neat/interesting experience.

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
I would think that would happen to a good number of art students. When we were learning to draw in the negative, I started seeing everything as voids rather than objects. It was an interesting perspective.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Synergy, glad to hear I'm not alone...just wish we knew what the phenomenon was.

The negative space analogy was just what I thought of, too, Jinga. Though I've never practiced trying to see colors and their complements simultaneously. It was a weird and fascinating experience.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Maybe it has been a green negative, which appeared gray to you. You might try out to llok at different shades of red and then look at a white wall and see how the different greens look like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts