VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made vegan macaroons from a recipe I found that repeated itself on many many sites- so I thought it was legit.
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=20568.0
I was confused how a cookie could have no leavening and just thought I would go for it anyways.

It was a sticky gooey mess, and I really can't bring these to the wedding tomorrow.
They didn't bake or set in the oven, they burnt on the bottom only and after 16 minutes, they were raw and falling apart, but time did not fix it - just burnt it.

I modified the recipe this morning and ended up with better results. I added 1 tsp baking powder (sifted it in with the flour and whisked it into the milk sugar mixture) and 1 egg replacer (ener-g) which I let the "pudding" set and then stirred it in with the vanilla. I had MUCH better results. I baked them for 25-30 min and they set up more like a chewy cookie.

I will add the new recipe to my blog later

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
That's strange that they didn't come out right. I made these for Christmas last year with no problem. They were one of the favorites that everyone asked me to make again for next Christmas. Now I want some.

·
Registered
824 Posts
glad you could fix it!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I couldn't follow a recipe if I tried! and I do.
I whisked two tablespoons of corn starch in the soymilk instead of flour-I figured it do the same, but blend easier, with 1/4 sugar. Cooked it for about 7 minutes whisking, then stirred in unsweetened coconut and 1/4 cup more sugar. I felt it should cool first, so I let it cool, seemed too thin, so when cool I stirred in 2 T. flour, then baked. They came out perfectly.
I probably would have used more coconut instead of flour, but only had 2 cups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts