VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me which commercial frostings are vegan? I vaguely remember maybe Duncan Hines..? I know there was one brand of chocolate frosting that was safe!

·
Registered
674 Posts
yes,duncin hines is vegan and so is their cake,brownie and cookie mixes as long as use an egg substitute when you cook it.I couldn't believe that it was vegan so I called the company and it is.Iwas so excited that for a few weeks all I ate was brownie batter until I got so sick of it that I would gag whenever I thought of it.Haven't touched it scince.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mmmm...frosting...when I was a skinny little kid and quite underweight, I'd eat an entire can of cream cheese frosting with a spoon.

Good to know that Duncan Hines is OK...

·
Registered
152 Posts
i just bought some duncan hines after reading this... there's mono-diglycerides and natural flavours, so i'm hoping those are veg derived and were covered in that call.

all of the flavours i looked at had those, so i guess it should be safe?

the thing that really weirded me out was the white chocolate almond had(get this) no notable milk derivitives, no chocolate/cocoa and no almond flavourings listed. i was just baffled there, what are they doing, hiding all of that in new artificial flavours and hullabaloo wordings now too?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful_Veggie View Post

Mmmm...frosting...when I was a skinny little kid and quite underweight, I'd eat an entire can of cream cheese frosting with a spoon.

Good to know that Duncan Hines is OK...

((jealous of your luxury))

Cheers!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Has anyone actually confirmed that Duncan Hines frosting is vegan?
natural flavors and glycerides in duncan hines are vegan, not all the varieties are vegan. The ones which have dairy, have bold entries in the ingredients list so they are easy to spot.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the white chocolate almond is good too.

the Pillsbury Whipped Supreme Cream Cheese flavored frosting is seemingly vegan by accident, too! no joke.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

the white chocolate almond is good too.

the Pillsbury Whipped Supreme Cream Cheese flavored frosting is seemingly vegan by accident, too! no joke.
Now that is just a bit if a vegan miracle now, isn't it?!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

natural flavors and glycerides in duncan hines are vegan, not all the varieties are vegan. The ones which have dairy, have bold entries in the ingredients list so they are easy to spot.
Thanks. I picked some up tonight.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I love cake with either very little or no frosting - frosting is way too sweet for me. My husband though can eat it with a spoon.. and then we end up with no frosting at all. Though I have to say, I like the taste of organics cakes better than other commercial brands. Usually. Duncan is pretty hard to pass up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ohh good to know!

I love frosting, but am not so good at making it! I can bake cakes from scratch, I just can't seem to get the frosting right though! So now I can buy frosting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know this may be a bit "super vegan," but what about the sugar? Is it bone-char filtered or not? If my mom buys things with regular sugar in it, I usually eat it, but when I buy, I prefer non bone-char...
Just curious...

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Vegan View Post

I know this may be a bit "super vegan," but what about the sugar? Is it bone-char filtered or not? If my mom buys things with regular sugar in it, I usually eat it, but when I buy, I prefer non bone-char...
Just curious...
The sugar may be bone char filtered but since I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't buy products which contain filtered water and doesn't drink water from their municipal supply without verifying how it has been treated, I've never thought the whole bone char thing was that important to anyone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts