VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br><br>
I'm working on an article for the health website, TheDoctorWillSeeYouNow.com and am interested in comments from veggies and vegans. I was vegan for a long time, and have been veggie for a lot of my life.<br><br>
I'm interested in hearing from people about their transition into either vegetarianism or veganism. What about it was difficult? Did you/do you find sustaining either diet hard? How do you feel physically after you made the change? Have you run into health problems/nutrient deficiencies due to it? Is health, animal ethics, or ecological reasons (or other) your main reason for doing it?<br><br>
Please comment on any or all of the questions above. If you wish, you can send responses to <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> !<br><br>
Thanks so much in advance,<br>
Alice

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have always been a vegetarian so I don't know if I can give much insight for this.<br>
When I went vegan I had to monitor my diet so much more. It was hard at first, but I found the easiest way to manage the new diet is cooking for myself whenever possible. Physically I feel fine. Never suffered any deficiencies from my lifestyle.<br>
My mother raised me vegetarian but I stayed vegetarian and switched to vegan because of my love for animals and the environment.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
why did you stop being vegan, and are you still vegetarian now?<br><br>
I'll answer: What about it was difficult? <b>Nothing at first while a vegetarian. Went vegetarian overnight after reading the The China Study, and got to the part where the statistics were just to obvious to ignore.</b><br><br>
Did you/do you find sustaining either diet hard? <b>No, not all. I really enjoy eating this way for the health benefits, and knowing it's also a compassionate way of eating</b><br><br>
How do you feel physically after you made the change? <b>Fantastic! Skin looked better, and weight kept coming off, definately had more energy.</b><br>
Have you run into health problems/nutrient deficiencies due to it? <b>Other than Vit D, but that's not diet related, I live in the Northeast. no other health problems at all!</b><br>
Is health, animal ethics, or ecological reasons (or other) your main reason for doing it? <b>health benefits first, animals second....it all falls into place when you do the right thing by changing your diet to a healthy vegan diet, and don't live on fatty or processed foods.</b>

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
It was easy for me to be lacto vegetarian. I knew I had to vegan to live my beliefs. Giving up cheese and milk and egg ingrediants wasn't so easy. The disconnect of dairy is much more insidious than actual flesh.<br>
It's been about 1 1/2 years of vegan, and while I've had slips along the way, it's getting much easier. I now try to not buy products I have to read. Cooking has become quite a hobby for me, and I enjoy it way more than I would have with meat-far more creative.<br>
Within the first month of giving up meat, I felt better than I ever did! The heavy feeling in my lower abdomen was gone, I felt light. As time went on, my skin also cleared, had more energy, woke up mentally more alert, and just overall felt better.<br>
In the beginning, vegan was hard on many levels. I was amazed by how much slaughterhouse waste is recycled in foods. As much as I wish there were more vegan foods, I'm also glad it brought me to eating more whole, fresh produce and fruits. Alternate proteins are so much cheaper than meats, I can afford to buy more organics.<br>
I haven't had health problems. My asmtha is much more controlled, seasonal allergies are better. Cholestrol has gone down, iron went up. I supplament with D and B12 and recently got an algeal omega dha supplement.<br>
To begin with, I went veg because I knew I was against the way we raise animals for food. The more I learned the more it supported the idea that we don't need any animal products, and I wasn't about to support that anymore. I believe a healthy vegan diet is the best all around choice.<br>
I also want to include that a vegan diet is terribly misunderstood. I wish it could be more mainstreamed.<br><br>
Why aren't vegan? Are you still vegetarian?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I made the switch to vegetarianism my sophomore year in high school. This November it will have been two years.<br>
I didn't find my switch difficult. I decided to go pescetarian after watching videos of animal slaughter in my Animal Science class. Abstaining from red meat and chicken wasn't really difficult as after seeing those videos I was completely disgusted by meat. A few weeks later I made the switch to complete vegetarianism, as I found to idea of dining on a fish carcass almost as unappetizing as the idea of eating a cow or chicken.<br>
I do want to go vegan eventually, but right now I live with my parents, and while they were tolerant of my switch to vegetarianism, they object strongly to veganism.<br>
After making the switch as I learned more I decided that being vegetarian is better for the environment, better for your health, and better for world hunger (and better for the animals of course!). The more I learned, the more I was convinced that being vegetarian is the ethical choice. I say that I went vegetarian for the animals, but I stay vegetarian for so many more reasons!<br>
Many people say they felt tons better after going vegetarian. I'm not going to lie, I didn't notice a huge difference.<br>
My vegetarian diet has never really caused me any deficiencies. I take a multivitamin every day, and I make sure to get enough protein, vegetables, and whole grains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts