VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I just replied to THIS thread where the OP didn't like soy products and I suggested focusing on cooking with easily accessibly and healthy whole foods like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, etc.

Could that also work for your situation? I'm assuming the vegan foods you are special ordering are dairy substitutes? Faux products are nice but they aren't necessary, and they aren't exactly healthy either. You can get everything you need to have an abundant vegan diet at a regular grocery store with a good produce aisle

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yeah what Werewolf girls said. A vegan diet doesn't necessarily have to contain a ton of processed specialty foods. Fruits, veggies, grains, beans, nuts, things like that are staples, and for a little extra protein and nutrient boost most supermarket chains carry soymilk these days, or could be convinced to through customer requests.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sorry to hear eating vegan wasn't working out the best for you. I would just ask you to think about keeping your dairy and egg consumption minimal, which has almost the same overall impact as eating 100% vegan in the long run. Totally your choice, of course!

My guess is that if you weren't lactose intolerant before, you probably won't have a problem with dairy now. One thing to be careful of is fat content -- if you aren't used to eating much fat and suddenly go back to a lot full-fat dairy, I could see that being a problem and potentially even causing gallbladder issues.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am sorry for your changes however, I came from a small town that was limited on choices for Vegeterian living, that is why I wanted my husband and I to move where we came. Now I can restart my Vegeterian Journey over again. I feel like making a chain for small town folks to have wholesome and Organic and Vegeterian and Vegan friendly ideas and meals and shops in small towns.
We are now mins away from several choices now and it feels great !!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Being out in the middle of nowhere has advantages as well as drawbacks, though! If you feel like you have no alternative to going back to dairy/eggs, then you might have opportunities to be cruelty-free about it. Rural families often sell eggs and fresh milk from their fat & happy backyard pets, which would be a much more kind non-vegan option than going back to stores.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyGirl View Post

Being out in the middle of nowhere has advantages as well as drawbacks, though! If you feel like you have no alternative to going back to dairy/eggs, then you might have opportunities to be cruelty-free about it. Rural families often sell eggs and fresh milk from their fat & happy backyard pets, which would be a much more kind non-vegan option than going back to stores.
we are about 4 hours away from the city, we living in a farming & mining town if that gives you an idea of my town. I'm going to be vegan at home and strict veggie when out. We are keeping to soy milk, and anything we can buy vegan we will (which is little) I have friends who sell eggs, but we don't buy eggs because we use egg replacer. I think the only time we would eat non vegan and be veggie is at a birthday party.

So our dairy would be very little. There's no way I'm buying cows milk/cows cheese/cows yogurt etc. We can get those in soy so we are going to continue. We have a friend who does their own honey which my husband buys rarely.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

I think the only time we would eat non vegan and be veggie is at a birthday party.

So our dairy would be very little. There's no way I'm buying cows milk/cows cheese/cows yogurt etc. We can get those in soy so we are going to continue. We have a friend who does their own honey which my husband buys rarely.
I really hope this won't keep you from participating in the vegan forum! I don't think you're the only "lacto-ovo socially" person around.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
so Carley, why the switch then if you're not buying milk? Eggs could come from a local farmer, but you said you don't eat whole eggs.....just curious. I understand about not having all the convenience foods at a convenient distance.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

so Carley, why the switch then if you're not buying milk? Eggs could come from a local farmer, but you said you don't eat whole eggs.....just curious. I understand about not having all the convenience foods at a convenient distance.
I've never eaten eggs, even before coming vegan. Things are hard to get here, I think it is more socially. If we run out here, it takes a few weeks to get them, the basic items. Sometimes when we go to a party, I'd like to have that cookie or something without worrying what is in it, and sometimes I can not bake before going.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I really hope this won't keep you from participating in the vegan forum! I don't think you're the only "lacto-ovo socially" person around.
i wonder who else is?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i got'cha then

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

I've never eaten eggs, even before coming vegan. Things are hard to get here, I think it is more socially. If we run out here, it takes a few weeks to get them, the basic items. Sometimes when we go to a party, I'd like to have that cookie or something without worrying what is in it, and sometimes I can not bake before going.
Sounds like two separate issues -- the lack of specific vegan products, and the social gathering issue. Unless I am misunderstanding? What types of things do you need to order online? Regardless, either difficulty is very understandable.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's kind of funny, even though I'm not changing anything in my diet, I'm simply changing the 'title' so I do not feel as restricted in public settings. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

My guess is that if you weren't lactose intolerant before, you probably won't have a problem with dairy now. One thing to be careful of is fat content -- if you aren't used to eating much fat and suddenly go back to a lot full-fat dairy, I could see that being a problem and potentially even causing gallbladder issues.
Lactose intolerance develops quite easily; if you stop eating dairy, it's fairly likely that your body will stop producing the enzyme the digests it. It happened to me, and I only cut out dairy for a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:

It's kind of funny, even though I'm not changing anything in my diet, I'm simply changing the 'title' so I do not feel as restricted in public settings. Does this make sense?
I was thinking that was what you were getting out but getting confused - yeah it makes sense.
I agree with RunnerVeggie that you shouldn't feel like you can't post about vegan issues in the vegan forum. (it's also kinda funny I think most of the replies here are from vegans!)

I think I'm kind of the opposite, sometimes I think if I did soemthing non-vegan I thought was ethical, I still wouldn't want to just because I couldn't be bothered to stop calling myself vegan and start calling myself a "milkfree-woolfree-honeyfree-leatherfree-animalderrivativesfree-vegetarian" or something haha.

Anyway back on topic, I have no idea but in such small amounts (ie: the milk in a cookie) I doubt it'll have an impact on you.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Carley may I ask what sort of food products you order an where you get them from? Also if you don't mind saying, where in Australia are you from?

I have moved back to Perth from overseas and would be happy to source and post items for you at cost which could save you on the mark up online ordering adds.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Lactose intolerance develops quite easily; if you stop eating dairy, it's fairly likely that your body will stop producing the enzyme the digests it. It happened to me, and I only cut out dairy for a couple of months.
I do think I have a problem with dairy, it gives me migraines that last for days, and I feel physically sick. A huge reason I went vegan (I gave up all dairy before meat)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Carley may I ask what sort of food products you order an where you get them from? Also if you don't mind saying, where is Australia are you from?

I have moved back to Perth from overseas and would be happy to source and post items for you at cost which could save you on the mark up online ordering adds.
I'm down in Whyalla
SA

1 - 20 of 28 Posts