VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

Newbie here who has been at the vegetarian thing for several years now, but has only now begun to fully "come out of the closet," so to speak. Anyone else have a similar experience? I found that it was something I was actually kind of "hiding" (or at least not explicitly stating) for quite some time. But needless to say, the people I'm closest to did slowly but surely begin to notice... And now I just have no choice but to accept myself for what I am!

Anyway, my personal journey toward this lifestyle has been very gradual and organic (ha!), starting about three years ago with an "everything is wrong" crisis that I know a lot of you will be familiar with. I began to get overwhelmed by the amount of cruelty and suffering we as human beings are capable of, and what I perceived to be the complete inevitability of our individual complicity in so much of it, simply by nature of being a living, breathing, consuming member of an organized society. So after sinking into a brief period of despair, I decided to instead be constructive and do whatever I could reasonably do on a daily basis to reduce the amount of suffering that my personal existence causes in the world. If everyone did that, just think what an infinitely better place this planet would be.

And there you have it. Needless to say, I'm happy to have found this forum for discussion and the exchange of ideas. Each day is a journey in which I learn areas where I can be making certain improvements, and it's great to hear about other people that are on the same road.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello and welcome!

I became a vegetarian when I was 12 in order to avoid my mother's meatloaf. When I was 14 I understood the importance of making this decision. It was at a time when those teenage hormones were taking over and I too was thrown into a fit of despair. Knowing the "truth" about what a hamburger is and how it gets to the plate was so overwhelming. It helps me, though, to know that on this path to ending suffering I have had many, many people join me. One person can make a difference.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Good intro along with what you said about IF ONLY everybody did

this of realizing their RESPONSIBLE role in the planet, it would be a better place!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by silverfish

Hi All-

my personal journey toward this lifestyle has been very gradual and organic (ha!),

<...............................>

starting about three years ago with an "everything is wrong" crisis that I know a lot of you will be familiar with.

<...............................>

I began to get overwhelmed by the amount of cruelty and suffering we as human beings are capable of, and what I perceived to be the complete inevitability of our individual complicity in so much of it, simply by nature of being a living, breathing, consuming member of an organized society.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
silverfish (i like silverfish -the insect- btw)

it's good that you are coming out of that small shady veggie closet, because you will see that there is a huge veggie world outside!!!! the sun is shining bright, there are a lot of nice people here, there is so much to do and to talk about.

i enjoyed your story. everyone has their own journey. i had the "everything is wrong" crisis AFTER i went veg.

so read this board as often as you like, and post often!

see you!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Welcome. I believe we must all take responsibility for ourselves, and not abdicate that responsibility merely because it's too hard, or because "no one else cares."

A) It's not true, and B), it's that kind of thinking that perpetuates the status quo. Change starts right here. *points at self*

Congratulations on discovering this truth and for coming out!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. It's good to be here.

And Michael, I just have to say that back in high school and college I was a *huge* Belly fan (though I never even made the connection with their song when I chose this handle - I've always had an affinity for squirmy little bugs). What a band they were. Wish they were still around! (I do like Tanya Donelly's solo stuff though.)

Man, now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.