Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Peace sign creates stir

Pagosa homeowners asked to remove symbol or risk fine

November 26, 2006

By Thomas Munro | Herald Staff Writer

A Pagosa Springs resident is resisting an order by her homeowners' association to remove a peace symbol-shaped wreath from an exterior wall of her home.

"I just wanted to put a message of peace out there," said Lisa Jensen, who hung the wreath Nov. 19. She said Wednesday she didn't intend the wreath as a statement against the Iraq war.

"I was really trying to be in favor of something - peace," Jensen said.

She was informed by letter from the Loma Linda Homeowners' Association that "Loma Linda residents are offended by the Peace Sign displayed on the front of your house."
http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin...ws061126_2.htm

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Since when is a peace symbol an anti-Christ sign? The Christian whack-jobs are on the march again.

I would rather live in my car than move into a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association. In my experience HAs are generally run by uptight *******s who get off on getting into other people's business.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

Since when is a peace symbol an anti-Christ sign? The Christian whack-jobs are on the march again.

I would rather live in my car than move into a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association. In my experience HAs are generally run by uptight *******s who get off on getting into other people's business.
Where did the article mention Christians as specifically objecting to this on religious grounds?

How many neighborhoods have you lived in with a HA? How vast is your experience?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Tame, I think she got that from this quote:

Quote:
"The peace sign has a lot of negativity associated with it," he said. "It's also an anti-Christ sign. That's how it started."
I myself was wondering how the peace sign was an anti-christ sign. I've never actually heard that before.

It seems strange when Jesus was a pretty pro-peace guy as far as I had heard.

On a personal note, my favorite holiday phrase is 'peace on earth', so this makes me kinda sad.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Where did the article mention Christians as specifically objecting to this on religious grounds?

How many neighborhoods have you lived in with a HA? How vast is your experience?
Quote:
Kearns declined to describe the complaints he had received about Jensen's wreath but expressed his own opinion.

"The peace sign has a lot of negativity associated with it," he said. "It's also an anti-Christ sign. That's how it started."
He could just be a very sensitive athiest, but I somehow doubt that. The phrase "Christian whack-job" isn't meant to imply that all Christians are whack-jobs.

When I worked in a title office I reviewed the HA agreements for about 20 different communities in my area. It's certainly not applicable to the rest of the country, but I feel it's pretty representative of neighborhoods where I could end up living.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
That's nutty. I'm a Christian, and the peace sign is one of my favorite symbols. I have wall hangings, jewelry, clothing, rugs and other ish with the symbol on it. I haven't used a peace sign wreath, yet, so I haven't inflamed anyone to that degree.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:

When I worked in a title office I reviewed the HA agreements for about 20 different communities in my area. It's certainly not applicable to the rest of the country, but I feel it's pretty representative of neighborhoods where I could end up living.
Oh, so other than reading HA agreements, you have no direct experience with HAs. Got it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I was always told that the peace sign is a broken cross. Look at it and you can see the crossbar that has fallen down. Not that i believe it but this is what I was told at a Baptist Uni (but didn't listen to)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
According to some historians, the Roman cross was shaped more like a "T" and less like a "+." The peace symbol could be closer to "accurate" than all these "+" shaped items.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Oh, so other than reading HA agreements, you have no direct experience with HAs. Got it.
I have never lived in a community with a HA, no. Several family members have had less than steller experiences though. Judging from the sorts of restrictions and regulations written into most of the agreements, I wouldn't be comfortable in that kind of setting.

How many HAs do you have experience with?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It's hard to tell from the article whether a peace symbol would be prohibited under the HA guidelines, but it doesn't seem it would be. Apparently they prohibit American flags and political signs meant to influence an election. I could see how it could be interpreted as the latter if it were put up before the November elections, but that doesn't seem the case. Since the president of the HA gives his personal opinion that the peace symbol is anti-Christian, this seems to be the more likely reason the HA has a problem with it.

I've never associated the peace symbol with anti-Christian sentiment. In fact, I thought Christ was all about peace. However, a larger question might be, what if the woman had put a clearly anti-Christian symbol on her home (ie. an inverted cross)? Would this violate the guidelines outlined by the HA? Is there anything in their guidelines that prohibit symbols offensive to Christians? I mean, I find giant neon crosses to be personally offensive, but unless my HA guidelines prohibited religious displays, or displays over a certain size, if my neighbor put up a giant neon cross on his home, I would really have no right to complain, would I? I'd just have to live with being offended.

I'd have to know more about the details of the HA guidelines to know if this woman was in violation of their rules.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Quote:

I have never lived in a community with a HA, no. Several family members have had less than steller experiences though. Judging from the sorts of restrictions and regulations written into most of the agreements, I wouldn't be comfortable in that kind of setting.
Not being comfortable under the rules is different than stereotyping everyone who sits on the board.

Quote:
How many HAs do you have experience with?
Direct experience through contact with boards? 15.

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
I found this http://www.nisbett.com/symbols/peace_sign.htm when I googled "peace sign". It's pretty funny actually, the hysteria. Just goes to show what freaks some people are and why I will never, ever own a home within an HOA. Kinda makes me want to go out and buy a peace sign, too.

'Round here, we have The Frederick Historical Society that makes everyone's lives miserable. To the locals, it's refered to as the "Hysterical Society".

Peace Out (Opps...I mean 'Satan Out')

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
When I was in high school I started becoming interested in the music and culture of the 60s-70s, and I had peace sign items such as jewelry, folders, and stickers.

There were some really hardline religious people in one particular class, and I remember one of them lecturing me about the supposed "evil" symbols of peace signs and yin-yangs.

That was the only time I've ever encountered this belief though, and ironically I've actually seen religious knicknacks that picture the peace sign!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.