VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about the benefits of colonics. Does anyone here have any experience? Do you recommend them? If i decide to try it where do i buy the colonic bags ..gosh i don't even know whats involved :) I've read that they are a great way to clear out all the mucus and nasty stuff stuck inside our colon.

Thanks for any info about this :)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I think the colon is supposed to have nasty stuff in it.

Seriously, I get highly suspicious of any stuff like this, bc I have faith that the body has evolved to take care of itself without resorting to this sort of stuff that may- introduce harmful bacteria, kill good bacteria, injure you, cost you money.

I realize that we have toxins in our foods that may not have existed in the past, but I say, then stop eating them, or at least, eat more fiber to put extra cleaning action into one's digestive system, and nothing toxic will stay very long.

ETA- I found this from Dr. Weil, alternative medicine guru, in answer to should I clean my colon?

Quote:
I've been asked this question many times, probably because of countless claims that the secret to good health is a colon cleansing, mixing colonic irrigation with the use of natural laxatives and herbal mixtures. None of this is necessary to good health. If you eat a high-fiber diet, drink plenty of water, exercise and have regular bowel movements, you don't need to do anything at all about your colon. The best way to care for it is to let its own natural physiological action keep it clean and in good working order.

There is no medical reason to irrigate the colon. Advocates of colon cleansing claim that toxic residues are to blame for everything from menstrual pain and migraines to sinus congestion and poor concentration. But because the entire lining of the colon sloughs off and is regenerated every day, it is physiologically impossible for such residues to accumulate. Some people get psychological or physical pleasure from colonics and some even become addicted to them or the feelings they have as a result. They maintain this "high" for a time until they again feel toxic and have to "detoxify" via another colonic.

If you do want internal cleansing, go on a restricted diet for a few days. You might do a "fruit fast" while taking some powdered psyllium seed husks to give your intestines plenty of bulk. Use a tablespoon of the powder stirred into a big glass of water and follow it with another glass of water. In the past I have done a 10-day regimen that goes like this: two days of nothing but fresh fruit and water, then two days of nothing but fresh fruit juice and water, then two days of fasting on water only, then two days of fresh juice and finally, two days of fruit. There are dozens of variations on this theme, all designed to give the digestive system a rest from its usual routine. It isn't a bad idea to pick one that appeals to you and follow it for a week or so once a year as a general preventive measure or to use when you have overindulged in heavy foods or alcoholic beverages.
http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cd...18-pt=Question

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I strongly advise you to NOT do this. I've read enough to make me scared....such as the high risk of scraping, and/or poking a hole in your colon. I think there are other risks as well, but I'm not sure. If you want to cleanse your colon, there are other much safer alternatives such as a salt water cleanse or using psyllium husks. There's other stuff too and I can attest that the salt water cleanse works.

With the salt water cleanse...drink an herbal laxative tea the night before. First thing in the morning prepare a full quart of luke-warm water and add two level teaspoons (two rounded tsps. for the Candadian quart) of uniodized sea salt. Ordinary iodized salt will not work properly. Drink the entire quart of salt water. This must be taken on an empty stomach. The salt and water will stay intact and quickly and thoroughly wash the entire tract for about one hour. Several eliminations will likely occur. The salt water has the same specific gravity as the blood, hence the kidneys cannot pick up the water and the blood cannot pick up the salt. This may be taken as often as needed for proper washing of the entire digestive system. Make sure you are near a bathroom for the hour after drinking it!

If the salt water does not work the first time, try adding a little more or a little less salt until the proper balance is found; or possibly take extra water with or without salt. This often increases the activity. It can do no harm at any time.

This is from the book The Master Cleanser.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'such as the high risk of scraping, and/or poking a hole in your colon'

OMG! What is involved that could scrape/poke the colon? I really do not know anything about colonics? -I just read about them for the first time two days ago, and the paragraph i read did not go into detail describing what you *actually* do.

*Thank you* for all the info, i really had no idea how 'bad' colonics are.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beansprout

What are psyllium husks? Where can i buy them ..at a health food store? Thanks again!
You can just buy regular fiber from the grocery store, the kind you spoon into water. Its in the medicine isle. Make sure you add it to enough water, as directed, though bc it swells up when exposed to water, and if you don't dissolve it in enough water and then drink it, you can actually choke. But look for a generic brand, it's not too expensive, and the citrus flavors actually taste good imo.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
If you don't use enough water in your psyllium husk mixture, your liquid might gel after you swallow it -- you think you are drinking a liquid and turns out you are (surprise) trying to swallow a fairly thick viscous sol. Very few people should really choke, especially if they realize what happened, and don't panic. I guess if you really really use too little water, maybe you could get a mass that won't easily separate into pieces. I think its best to let it thicken before drinking it -- it takes about 3 minutes before it is done. That way, you don't have to worry about it changing while you swallow it, or changing while in your stomach, and thuse causing discomfort, if not outright choking.

Most supermarket and drugstore brands of psyllium husk -- including "Metamucil" -- are predominantly sugar, or about half sugar half psyllium husk. You can get 100 percent or near 100 percent silly-yum husk in some drug stores and many health food stores. Personally, I don't worry about 1 teaspoon of sugar if I take 2 tsps of husk-sugar mix.

I actually like silly-um husk, mucus-consistency and all. It is the same (or rather similar) "mucus" to that which is in pectin, agar, carrageenan, oatmeal, and flax seeds. I like it completely unflavored, tho i could see it might be fun to experiment with adding my own flavorings. If you get a batch that has been sitting on the shelf for many months, it does acquire a slightly rancid taste, much the way wheat or rice does. Fresh psyllium husk tastes better.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
You can get your silly-um husk ground fine, medium or course. Look at the size of the package relative to the labeled weight, and compare different weight-size ratios, you can get some idea of whether a brand is finer or coarser, without needing to open it up and look. Finer-ground will, obviously, come in a smaller package for the same weight.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i've heard that colonics just kill off the good bacteria in your body and cause more problems than it's worth. some people swear by it, mostly celebrities, but i think it's just "the thing to do" and will fade out when everyone realizes how bad it really is. maybe they use it because they don't have the time to do a proper cleanse, who knows.

i'd say if you want to cleanse yourself just go on one of the many fasts designed for that purpose, like the master cleanse that's been mentioned. seems a lot safer and more natural.

orrrr just cut cooked foods from your diet and eat lots of fruit and drink a ton of water

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beansprout

What are psyllium husks? Where can i buy them ..at a health food store? Thanks again!
Metamucil makes "fiber wafers" out of psyllium husks. The ones I have are "apple crisps" and sort of taste like apple-flavored Graham crackers. You have to make sure to drink enough water when you are taking them, but they are a pleasant snack--and it is far more pleasant eating them than mixing up that orangey-powder stuff in water and trying to drink it down. Yuck!

You should be able to find these in the pharmacy section of your supermarket.

Questions? Call 1-800-983-4237.

Or visit:

http://metamucil.com/

You can even get a free sample of the wafers here:

http://metamucil.com/sample/index.shtml

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I agree with everything everyone has said against colon cleansing. It's not a good idea at all. I keep myself "regular" by eating a high fiber diet, drinking lots of water, and I take psyllium capsules. They're at home right now, so I don't know the brand, but they're called Psyllium Husk Vegcaps, and you take a few capsules with a lot of water. It's pure soluable fiber. You can find them in any major (and most not-so-major) health food stores.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A friend of mine told me yesterday what she does to cleanse her colon.

She said that upon waking, she eats fruit (apples, oranges, etc.) then, an hour later, she eats something like a bowl of oatmeal and continues about her day like normal. Then, with her evening meal, she takes psyllium capsules. (she said the powder is cheaper, but she, personally, has trouble drinking the stuff, so she switched to the capsules) She said that she does this over a course of about 2 wks and afterward, she feels pretty cleaned out.

I was actually thinking of trying this. I tried Dr. Richard Schulze's colon cleanse, but had to quit because it made my sugar levels shoot sky high. Apparently, according to my holistic doc, I'm allergic to some of the ingredients in his cleanse. So, whatever you choose to do, just be careful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts