VeggieBoards banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

I'm curious why you don't consider the massive consumption of junk food to be a major cause. In the first half of the 1900s, people mostly ate meat, vegetables, and dairy. In the mid-century, along came TV dinners, packaged processed food (rice-a-roni, hamburger helper, etc) and junk food. And with it, dramatic increases in obesity.
It certainly is a contributing factor, but it's how much of a factor that I have doubts about. There are many factors, and meat and dairy are certainly one of the biggest factors. That's why I've rarely, rarely seen any obese vegans.

I stand corrected. From other articles I've read, it appears that dairy has made little increase, but meat has increased enormously. A 50-pound increase for the average American, according to this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/we...27bittman.html

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
I don't understand how the author of that article claims "Americans eat about the same amount of meat as we have for some time" and then says "Americans are downing close to 200 pounds of meat, poultry and fish per capita per year (dairy and eggs are separate, and hardly insignificant), an increase of 50 pounds per person from 50 years ago". So which is it? Are we eating about the same amount, or have we dramatically increased our consumption? And how long is "some time" -- 100 years? 10 years?

I would argue that we're eating more of everything (leading to an excess of calories overall), but then I read this:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications...frvol25i3a.pdf

It demonstrates % increases in consumption of various food categories over the past 35 years. Negative % change means a decrease in consumption. Positive % is an increase, and the higher the % the more we've consumed over the past 3.5 decades (coinciding with about when the obesity rate started its dramatic climb upward).

Grains (mostly refined, according to the data): 44%

Fats: 36%

Sugars: 22%

Meat/poultry/fish/eggs: 7%

Fruit: 23%

Vegetables: 30%

Dairy: -1%

Anyway, obviously we're going to believe whatever we think is right. I believe that the recent development (~50 years) of highly refined foods is strongly correlated with the recent dramatic rise in obesity. You believe that food humans have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years has suddenly caused modern diseases. You can believe what you want and continue eating your doritos and pepsi and white bread, and do your colon cleanse. I'm going to stick to my whole, minimally processed foods and rely on my colon to do the job it has evolved to do. I think I'm pretty much done with this conversation anyway.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

I don't understand how the author of that article claims "Americans eat about the same amount of meat as we have for some time" and then says "Americans are downing close to 200 pounds of meat, poultry and fish per capita per year (dairy and eggs are separate, and hardly insignificant), an increase of 50 pounds per person from 50 years ago". So which is it? Are we eating about the same amount, or have we dramatically increased our consumption? And how long is "some time" -- 100 years? 10 years?

I would argue that we're eating more of everything (leading to an excess of calories overall), but then I read this:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications...frvol25i3a.pdf

It demonstrates % increases in consumption of various food categories over the past 35 years. Negative % change means a decrease in consumption. Positive % is an increase, and the higher the % the more we've consumed over the past 3.5 decades (coinciding with about when the obesity rate started its dramatic climb upward).

Grains (mostly refined, according to the data): 44%

Fats: 36%

Sugars: 22%

Meat/poultry/fish/eggs: 7%

Fruit: 23%

Vegetables: 30%

Dairy: -1%

Anyway, obviously we're going to believe whatever we think is right. I believe that the recent development (~50 years) of highly refined foods is strongly correlated with the recent dramatic rise in obesity. You believe that food humans have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years has suddenly caused modern diseases. You can believe what you want and continue eating your doritos and pepsi and white bread, and do your colon cleanse. I'm going to stick to my whole, minimally processed foods and rely on my colon to do the job it has evolved to do. I think I'm pretty much done with this conversation anyway.
I'm getting bored with it too. I don't drink pepsi or eat dorito's so I have no idea where you're getting this information from. I've clearly said that many factors have contributed to obesity today, and that the increase in meat consumption has contributed a large amount to the problem. I have also said that the changes in dairy and meat today compared to what they used to be has caused a big problem. I wish you wouldn't change my argument around, but there's nothing I can do about that.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Funny you mention Pepsi and Doritos.... Right now, I'm munching on Cooler Ranch doritos and eating frozen cherry coke
I don't do this stuff often, I just found it really funny that you guys posted that and I read it right at this time.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts