VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of creating a group for vegetarians at my university. We have a very small veg population and terrible food (for everyone, but especially people on restricted diets). I'm hoping that an organized group of veg*ns would be useful to petition the university for dining hall changes. That's my main purpose for creating the group. I want it to be fun, though, and something that will last after changes are implicated and/or the founders graduate. Has anyone here been in a school vegetarian group or have any ideas? What kinds of things should go on at meetings (aside from eating
)? What sort of activities could our group do?

Also, if anyone has had any success at convincing a school to better accommodate veg*ns, advice on that would be welcome as well. Right now they have a vegetarian line for lunch and dinner that serves grilled cheese for l/o's, noodles with marinara sauce for vegans, and then something generally bad-tasting for variety (which may or may not be vegan). They also have a slightly pathetic salad bar. They have recently started serving a vegetarian soup every day, but that's the only change they've made in response to localized complaints.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
One cool thing your group could do is to get your school cafeteria to stop using battery eggs (assuming they do). And depending on how many vegans you have, you could leaflet your school with brochures from Vegan Outreach - although if you're mostly a l/o group that might not be a popular idea.

Are there many restaurants in town? You could have a dining-out activity once a month.

·
Registered
0 Posts
peta2.com has free stuff to hand out to students and also the dining hall people about getting more veg options at school.

Activities: show DVDs, do leafleting/hanging up fliers around campus, hang around the dining hall and try to recruit new members, etc...

I got your e-mail about this, I'll reply shortly with the contact info.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just a suggestion, but maybe you could research other colleges which have veg food, and use these as a basis for your own arguments, showing them that there are others who have done these things.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey! I run the University of Chicago Vegan Society (which has been around for five years or so!) We're pretty successful...

We don't like showing graphic videos,but we do watch Charlotte's Web.

We have a catered Vegan Thanksging event where we show the simpsons episode where lisa goes veg AND...

Our biggest event of the year is Try Vegan Week. Over 300 students participate and we have food/info events each night, sometimes with speakers, sometimes just food including an ice cream night and a barbecue. Hope this helps!

Email me if you need any more help! [email protected]

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, JulieShul, that sounds so nice. Especially the Thanksgiving dinner. I just had mashed potatoes and corn at our school dinner.

I like the idea of a Try Vegan week. I bet we could sponsor something similar on a smaller scale (My school only has a couple thousand students).

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! This time of year is really intense with schoolwork, so we haven't made any progress yet, but I'm keeping notes of everyone's good ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts