VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone a college student who eats in a 'dining hall' or 'food court' regularly? If so, what kind of food do you find yourself eating and did you ever push for more veg*n options?

I eat in a dining hall (buffet kinda thing...) 2 meals/per day 7 days/week. i try to get my protein from peanut butter on bananas bagels and luckilly the refried beans are vegan (somehow) so i eat a lot of tacos. then i'm pretty much on my own for b12 and iron so i do a lot of late night cooking. my biggest problem is that i hate raw vegetables (yeah.. what kind of vegan am I?!?) so my choices are limited.

Some of my vegan friends who don't go to my school suggest pushing for vegan options, but I don't see the point since there are only 2 vegans in the whole school.

My solution was to apply for a 'special interest house' for the environmental coalition for next year. Four of my friends and I were granted the house under the conditions that we'd serve veg*n meals in the house to any students on a regular basis and work to improve the recycling program. Student Gov. was supposed to grant us money for meals... but that isn't working out well so far. Pretty cool, eh?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I go to college and the cafeteria there is horrid. I always asked the ingredients and gave ideas to the lady who ran the kitchen because there was nothing there for me except fresh fruit and coffee, and salads, which I love and all but kinda got sick of after eating the same thing every day.

She finally sat down with me and asked me some ideas. I told her to look into falafel for the fryers, and at least one vegan soup a day(with vegetarian broth). I also asked her for soymilk for the cereals and oatmeals and such. She was pretty open to my ideas. The cafeteria opens up again this fall so I will have to see if she is actually going to follow through.

My suggestion is for you to sit down with the kitchen manager and discuss your needs. Just because there are only a few vegans there, doesnt mean the other omnis cant eat the food. Maybe theyll try it and like it. knock on wood.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Sitting down with the kitchen manager is a good idea.

In my own experience I was one of 4 vegans on campus, that I knew of, out of 1200 people. Two of them were teachers who were rawfoodists and didn't eat in the cafeteria, and the other was a security guard who also chose to not eat cafeteria food.

I personally did not push for vegan options, but the cafeteria did supply 6 meals a day, 1 of which was always vegetarian. Sometimes it was vegan, and I would always get it on that day, even if it wasn't the best food in the world.

I ate plenty bagels and peanut butter. I also would take a bagel to the salad bar and make a sandwhich with sprouts, tomato, lettuce, pickles, and mustard. It's amazing how many times I ate this, and I never got bored of it.

I would always take a couple pieces of fruit with me back to the dorm for a snack later.

I'd always get the potato product of the day: French fries, potato puffs, homefries made from last nights baked potatoes (this was my favorite
), et cetera.

We sometimes had a stirfry bar and usually had a sandwhich bar. These were my favorite days.

All in all, my cafeteria really was meat-based. Again five out of six possible meals almost always included meat. However, I'd always make the 6th work, or settle for a bagel sandwhich, conventional sandwich, salad, or potato product dinner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I was lucky! There's a chain of "restaurants" that's only in dining halls at colleges (and I think only in large colleges in upstate NY) called "Global Vegetarian." I was (and still am, technically) omni, but I went there a lot, because they had awesome pizzas and mixed fruit things. They always had a few things labelled vegan, but most of it wasn't because it had cheese (like the aforementioned pizza). We also had a wrap bar for lunch, with lots of veggies you could get. We always had a HUGE cooler full of soymilk, and it went fast, and most of the people drinking it seemed to be omni. I guess it's because our school is so big... with about 3,500 to 4,000 people in the dorms at all times, there are bound to be a lot of people who want vegetarian/vegan food.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I lucked out at college. The school I went to once boasted a 70% vegetarian/vegan population. They had an entire dining hall devoted entirely the vegetarian and vegan cuisine and always served both choices at the main dining hall and 'fast food' type dining hall.

Edited to say my college had an undergrad population of about 1000. Still, at least half of my friends didn't eat meat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was going to ask a question bout this for a while, but i didnt know how to word it. i go to a larger university and there is always a vegetarian option. usually, however, it is mac and cheese. i wrote a comment card about having more vegan options, and they called back, but i didnt know what to tell them that wouldnt scare them away. if anyone has any thoughts about it (other than the aformentioned ones) i would really appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"My suggestion is for you to sit down with the kitchen manager and discuss your needs. Just because there are only a few vegans there, doesnt mean the other omnis cant eat the food. Maybe theyll try it and like it. knock on wood."

i did that once and then they just.. didn't do anything. the manager talked about how she wanted to have little carrot symbols that would say if food was veg*n and nothing ever happened. that kinda **** happens a lot at my school. if you don't keep pushing for things (like recycling which i've been working on for 2 years now) they just expect you to forget about it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
are there employement oportunities at the cafeteria i know it may be against you principles to work in such an etablishment it would be mie too but if it would be opportunity for change i woul ddo iot if it would give me the inside acces to get food i could eat served. I have been undergrad in 2 univ. 1 small and one large one where veg food was limited but available and one where it is widely available including a vegan only cafeteria. for a buck a plate at lunch (only lunch though is served there - run i believe??? by students dont quote me) its nothing for a caf to add veggie burgers to its grill menu or some tofu to its stirfry but it need people to ask and believe me non vegans will appreciate it just as mucha s the veggies at the univ. there are alot of health conscious omnis out there who will love you for sticking up for what you believe in.

Say

good luck

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I went Vegan my second year in college (I"ll be entering my third this year) and as soon as that happened i ditched my meal plan and started cooking with a friend who also went vegan. I dont know if you're lucky enough to know another vegan but if you do that is a good option to try if you have a kitchen. The special interest house sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AliasSpy

may, did you go to NYU by any chance?
Nope, Rochester Institute of Technology. I still go there, but I don't live in the dorms, so I don't have to worry about dining hall food anymore (thank goodness).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lucy cat, would you care to discuss lehigh valley happenings? feel free to stop by the enviroco house in the fall!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I wasn't a vegan when I ate in the dining halls, but I still lived mainly on bagels, cereals, and the salad bar ... everything else was just too gross. (My "freshman 15" was in the negative column, LOL.) I guess I was basically eating vegetarian without thinking about it. It would be harder to eat vegan though; I had dairy with all of those selections.

Cool idea for the special House!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I was worried about vegan options at my college (I'm starting in the fall), but I e-mailed the dining hall staff, and they offer animal-product-free options on a daily basis, mostly because it's touted as an international school and there are many Hinus, etc, who don't eat meat, and they offer a lot of dairy-free options for those who are lactose intolerant. They also have a cork board set up in the dining hall, where you can write a food item you wish the cook staff to make, stick it to the cork board, and they'll contact you about when they'll be able to make it.

Also, Princeton Review rated my school as #9 in the nation for having the best food. XD

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I went to University of Oregon, and they were pretty kewl as far as vegan options. Their large, buffet-dining hall had at least one vegan entree each meal, soymilk, fruit, veggies, taco bar, sandwhich bar with vegan filling, etc. Also, the other dining areas on campus, such as the hamburger place, the psuedo conveninence-store, the psuedo cafe, and the like all had at least one vegan option. Still, I got a little bored of their food. I also only ever met one other vegan.

ebola

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
penn state did pretty well. they usually had veggie burgers at the "cafe" type places. i think vegan food was harder to find, but i know that some of it was--and some of it was pretty good--because i ate it even when i wasn't vegan. go figure (i didn't become vegan until law school).

yeah, so, there.

in lehigh valley, pa? cuz, i'm like an hour from there. and like, i'll invite you to my yoga center if you want. and meet ya there if you want.

yeah.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts