VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your dogs wear their collars all the time? If you take them off, when? I've been wondering a lot about their collars, because it seems they're obviously more comfortable without them, but at the same time I don't want them to get lost (they're microchipped but if they're found by a person that doesn't call animal control to scan them then noone will know they're mine). I keep their collars pretty loose, just loose enough so they're only tight enough that they don't fall off, but they still have been getting something on the front of their necks, where the fur feels and looks and feels thinner. I thought it was an allergy, but I checked my other dogs neck and she had the same thing, though she has a different collar of different materials.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would say it depends. When I was growing up my family had a German Shepherd, and he loved his collar. He would not let us take it off, except to give him a bath. To him, it was His, not ours, and we were not to touch it. I think he wore it like a mark of pride (and he did look quite handsome in it.)

Now, my husband and I have a dog, Pan, whom we keep collared at all times. We keep it lose enough that he has no problems with it - but it does leave a ring of finer fur underneath. All collars do that, if worn for any length of time. With cats, I've never bothered with collars, because my cat would scratch himself and inevitably turn his collar into a frizzled mass of fluff, tearing out all of the stitching. But, also, my cat was an indoor cat who never went outside. Any animal who is going to be outside, I think, should have a collar, for their own safety. Especially if they might get loose. Not everyone knows to check for microchips.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I take ours off to brush the dog(get all the loose fur on his neck), but our dog actually seems to hate having it taken off. Almost looks worried, actually. He's more than happy to let us put it back on. Our dog learned early on that if he pulled away hard enough on a walk that the collar would slip over his head and he could play tag for 20 minutes as everyone in the family chases him down. It's tight enough the he can't do that

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Shady wears his collar all the time. It is barely tight enough to not slip over his head and I have not seen any kind of disruption of fur or irritation. He is a short haired dog though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dogs never wear a collar, but they do wear a harness when I walk them. They are otherwise always inside or in my backyard, which is fortified, so they can no longer escape.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We keep collars on our dogs at all times (except when bathing them). They're loose enough for me to fit two fingers underneath. Our dogs don't seem to notice or mind the collars, and I haven't really noticed that the fur underneath is affected in any way. The collars themselves are made of nylon; nothing special.

·
Banned
212 Posts
They get taken off when they have baths. As two of the three have a habit of going walkabouts if they have the chance to it makes it a lot easier to grab them.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Max (dog) wears his collar all the time, Penelope (cat) has never worn one.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Our two dogs wear theirs almost all of the time. I had Tucker's off to brush him a few weeks ago and he whined and scratched at it on the floor until I put it back on him. Silly pug.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

Our two dogs wear theirs almost all of the time. I had Tucker's off to brush him a few weeks ago and he whined and scratched at it on the floor until I put it back on him. Silly pug.
It's almost like they feel nekkid

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsschu2u View Post

Lol my Pug seems conflicted about his collar. When I take it off he acts like a wild animal and bolts around the house like a rocket, crashing into people and things. After a few minutes he comes back to it and stares at it, whining, and when I pick it up to put it back on him and he hears it jingle, he starts to wiggle and get excited again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
my dog wears his all the time. I leave it loose so it doesn't affect his fur.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The dumbasses next door have their cats' collars extremely tight. My mom loosens them. The cats come back with them tight again.

Some people are just stupid.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

The dumbasses next door have their cats' collars extremely tight. My mom loosens them. The cats come back with them tight again.

Some people are just stupid.
why don't you print something out from the net about how to fit a collar and anonymously put it on their porch?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Lol my Pug seems conflicted about his collar. When I take it off he acts like a wild animal and bolts around the house like a rocket, crashing into people and things. After a few minutes he comes back to it and stares at it, whining, and when I pick it up to put it back on him and he hears it jingle, he starts to wiggle and get excited again.
Hah, that sounds like a hoot to watch.

·
Registered
691 Posts
During the day, going for walks, when we are not home collars are on (also microchipped). Settling in for the night they come off but I hang them on the footboard of the bed for quick access if ever needed. I am a really light sleeper so if they move around and the tags jingle I wake up (just them moving around usually wakes me up). With 4 woofers it is inevitable there is movement throughout the night. Hubby's snoring keeps me up half the night so need all the sleep I can get!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

why don't you print something out from the net about how to fit a collar and anonymously put it on their porch?
Because everyone will know exactly who did it, and I don't want to piss the neighbors off. The dad of the family is a drunk who has been arrested right on the spot for passing out due to complete intoxication at least once. The police cars have been there on several occasions.

The animals are in the care of the mother, who has divorced him, and she's the sort of clueless-but-stubborn-takes-no-hints kind. So while that's not exactly great, they don't have to deal with the drunkard's fail care.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dog only wears her collar when she goes out for a walk, and then she wears 2. Her normal nylon one and then her special Greyhound Herringbone collar. She much prefers it off. When we had more dogs they would wear their collars at all times, but maybe once every fortnight we would take them all off so they could have a little bit of freedom.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts