VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long, what setting, same as stovetop?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
LOVE collard greens, but... I've never tried cooking them that way. Everyone else appears to cook them a lot longer than I do- I just give them a 5-10 minute steaming or sauteeing. But I don't think I know of anyone who cooks them for more than about a half hour, tops.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, first of all, I hope that it is apparent that autocorrect was at work here. I do not, nor have I ever, cooked anything in a crackpot. Especially collards. I unsuccessfully tried to correct it, but I concede that it is puuurty funny...

Tom, here in the South I think its normal to simmer greens for at least a good hour, and maybe up to two hours. Of course I like to leave the stems, and I think it takes a while to get those tender.

The other day I cooked fresh kale for the first time for about 1 - 1.5 hours and they were still of a chewable texture and the stems were tender. We ate them out of the pot. Lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K, cooked Collards on the stove for 1 hour in water, sea salt, black pepper, and a splash of apple cider vinegar. They were perfect!
So conclusion is crock pot seems like way too long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts