VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tommorrow will be 5 days in a row without coffee. I drink at least 3 cups everyday, so 5 days without is a pretty big deal. I have been drinking hot apple cider as a subsitute... although i love tea, it doesnt seem to satisfy me when i am wanted coffee. does anyone have any other ideas for coffee substitutes?

p.s. i guess it is important to include that i am not anti coffee... I have a mild case of IBS that goes unnoticed unless i am drinking coffee... i suffer from terrible stomach cramps for most of the day, if i have coffee that morning. so for a better quality of life i am hoping to finally kick the coffee habit once and for all!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Any withdrawl symptoms?

Last Monday I started drinking half reg/ half decaf. That night my head started pounding and I didn't know why. Duh!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The physical withdrawal from coffee passes after only a couple of days (according to a neurologist who studied the brain effects of coffee drinking), so what you're probably missing is the rich taste of coffee. Can you drink hot chocolate?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Try dark chocolate, it contains a stimulant called theobromine, which has longer lasting effects than caffeine and does not produce anxiety or withdrawal. Also, try to get enough sleep, since I get almost zero withdrawal on the weekends, compared to the weekdays, when I feel MISERABLE without my coffee and tea. Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Apple is the way to go, it has the same effect as coffee and it's healthy! And I wouldn't know about coffee withdrawal symptoms, as I simply decided it was better for my general wellbeing if I simply did not put myself in a position where I need to withdraw from foods. So far, though, this theory has only worked for coffee, everything else I succumb to. Must...Try...Harder...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thank you all so much. Im really glad i posted this because I didnt know postum or teeccino existed... i had never heard of them! Ludi, you suggested hot chocolate, and once i started thinking hot choclate thoughts i couldnt stop so i had hot chocolate yesterday, we had marshmallow lovers at my house, but they put the marshallows in a seperate package, which was pretty amazing. and as far as withdrawl symptoms, I did have a bad headache the first day, but other than that I havent felt anything out of the ordinary!

thanks for all your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts