VeggieBoards banner

Coconut Oil?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  vegancherrypie 
#1 ·
Is it healthy (I know it's got alot of sat. fat)? I think I've read both that it is bad, and also that it is ok because it is structured different from other saturated fats. Anyone know? I really like banana chips but turn them away due to them being fried in coconut oil, that is high in saturated fat.

#4 ·
I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, coconut oil is saturated fat, but I would rather eat that then chips fried in hydrogenated oils
So have your banana chips, they're good for you, and they taste sooooo yummy!!!!!

And as krista said, life is fatal, you'll never get out of it alive (so have your banana chips)

#6 ·
Coconut oil is saturated fat, but if you want to fry something it works fine. The body doesn´t need saturated fats, but eating only polyunsaturated fats doesn´t work either (cancer risk). If you like your banana chips (which might be fried in coconut oil or not), eat it, don´t take the fun out of your life - only restrict the quantity.

#7 ·
I've read a few places that it is suspected (far from confirmed) that saturated fats from plants are far better for you than those from animals. non-hydrogenated margarines like Earth Balance often use tropical plant oils. But like said above, probably better than the hydrogenated.

I would still prefer monounsaturated fats for my foods.

#8 ·
I think there isn´t a difference in the saturated fats itself, but in the byproducts. Non-hydrogenated margarines are better, hydrogenated fats might contain small doses of nickle and they do contain trans fatty acids.

I also like olive oil much better than coconutoil, but I guess they wouldn´t use olive oil for the banana chips, Keegan was referring to.

#9 ·
you could always make your own banana chips in a dehydrator, they are actually better that way, no oil needed. they recommend dipping them in lemon juice to keep from browning, but it is not required. anyway, I like my own way better than store bought, and I find the trick is to cut them extra thin to get them nice and crunchy.

#12 ·
I sold my old one and want to get an Excalibur... just can't get a real good deal on them - I will have to part with the money soon, I was telling my step daughter about the bananas and apple chips I like to make and I could tell - she was all into it. Sure is a better alternative them allowing the kids to have candy.

Well........I did it! After really thinking about it, I went ahead and ordered the mid size dehydrator - found a great deal on it with free shipping and with 4 of the teflon sheets. I highly recommend you use them if you use a dehydrator, they are SO nifty.

#13 ·
my mom read somewhere that coconut oil is good for thyroid function, don't know yet if it's true, i'm gonna try to look up more info on it.

#14 ·
Quote from a local newspaper article entitled "Going coconuts", by Tony Chiodo, The Age 15/7/03:

"But wait, isn't coconut oil a saturated fat? And you know the scoop about saturated fats. For this or whatever reason, its been pushed aside and barred from many a kitchen bench. Yet its abundant use in the tropics has me singing its praises, or at least putting it through the fire. And as it turns out, coconut oil contains lauric acid, reportedly responsible for many health benefits and otherwise found only in abundant quantities in human breast milk.

So make of that what you will. Here's another line of enquiry for all you happy researchers to pursue.

The writers email address is tony@grainaissance.com.au if you want to find out his sources.

#16 ·
Lauric acid is also saturated! But it has a shorter chain and is easier turned into energy than the longer chains but still not as easily as capric acid. I´ve never heard of any other special health benefit It´s used as a surfactant in industry.

#18 ·
I've read so much difference of opinions concerning coconut oil lately it's crazy--all saturated fats are bad, including those in palm and coconut, OR saturated fats in coconut are nutrititionally superior to any other fats due to "medium chain triglycerides" (don't ask ME to explain). Who knows? Like everyone said, moderation and variety are key.

Cassie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.