VeggieBoards banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
But saturated fats aren't bad for you. That study you linked to is from 1995 so it's a little outdated. Modern research and a review of much of the research show that saturated fat isn't really linked to heart disease.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40091...rated-Fat.html

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
^^^ Agreed.

It doesn't even make sense to me that saturated fat would be bad for you based on our evolutionary experience.

Sugar and inflammation are likely the biggest culprits in heart disease.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
I have already relayed this info to runnerveg, i guess facts fail to convince some, here is the run down of why coconut oil is healthy:

Yes coconut oil has saturated fats, however these sat fats are very different than sat fats from animal sources. Saturated animal fats are made of long chain fatty acids, where as saturated plant fats are made of medium chain fatty acids. This makes these 2 kinds of fats VERY different.
This details the health benefits of MCFA's: http://www.nutritionreview.org/library/mcts.php
Lauric acid is another component of coconut oil that boosts its health benefits: http://www.lauric.org/index.html

And here is a list of peer-reviewed studies about coconut oil, lauric acid and MCFA's: http://www.coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed.htm

Coconut oil is great. I use it in all of my baking, it is a great replacement for butter. I also use coconut oil exclusively for my work (massage therapy) as it is great for skin, not too greasy feeling like jojoba oil, and doesn't stain sheets/clothes/carpet! I moisturize the ends of my hair with coconut oil when it gets dried out from weather and swimming. Coconut oil also makes a great lube (if ya know what I mean....)

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

But saturated fats aren't bad for you. That study you linked to is from 1995 so it's a little outdated. Modern research and a review of much of the research show that saturated fat isn't really linked to heart disease.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40091...rated-Fat.html
You seem to be under the impression that the food manufacturing industry cares about your health. It cares about one thing. Profit. Modern "research" convinces you to purchase its products because it knows how to tell you what you already want to believe about the stuff you like to eat. I don't really care if other people want to chug gallons of plant fats, but "modern research" also told us at one time that cigarette smoking was very healthy, and that smokers enjoyed health benefits not available to those who didn't smoke.

You can get all the "heart healthy" plant fats you need from a whole foods diet, in the macronutrient proportions that are optimal for human health. Suggesting that it is not necessary to coat foods with added oils isn't the same thing as advocating a fat free diet. There is no such thing, unless a person is eating nothing but sugar sweetened protein powder. But if you are going over 15% of your calories from fat, that dietary fat is doing a whole lot more at the cellular level that is detrimental to overall health than just providing added calories.

Go ahead and eat extra fat if you want. Just understand that it is not necessary or healthful, and please do not try to frighten people into thinking they will suffer from deficiencies if they don't pour fat all over their foods. That's just food manufacturing industry propaganda. The soybean oil lobby nearly wiped out the coconut oil industry, and now they are fighting to get their share of the market back. That's what motivates your "modern research".

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I have already relayed this info to runnerveg, i guess facts fail to convince some, here is the run down of why coconut oil is healthy:
Indeed, some "facts" do fail to convince those who actually have experience that informs them otherwise.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Indeed, some "facts" do fail to convince those who actually have experience that informs them otherwise.
Interesting and what might that "experience" be exactly?

Are you denying all of the information in the links about the health benefits of coconut oil?

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I use coconut oil as a moisturizer-it's cold expeller pressed, and has NO scent, or taste
What kind of coconut oil has the scent, and taste of coconut?
I do sometimes use it for baking.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer-it's cold expeller pressed, and has NO scent, or taste
What kind of coconut oil has the scent, and taste of coconut?
I do sometimes use it for baking.
Yup, there are 2 main kinds of coconut oil: refined and unrefined.

-unrefined has a coconut flavor/scent
-refined has no flavor and no scent

I prefer the refined for almost everything I use it for, and pretty much only use the unrefined for things with coconut flavor already like almond joys and macaroons. some people really like coconut scent, I get bored of it personally.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
now vincent should be chastising you for posting research based on animal testing which was from 2004....
(gotcha back on the age of the research
)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I still don't think consuming a solid at room temperature fat really is going to be healthy, but totally support the notion that palm oil got a bad rap when canola or olive oil wanted their fair share of the profits!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

now vincent should be chastising you for posting research based on animal testing which was from 2004....
(gotcha back on the age of the research
)
It's sad that all of this stuff is tested on animals and I wish it wasn't but at the moment a majority of the studies are so when linking to studies there are bound to be some involving animals.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I agree.....it is too bad, and that is the research that is out there.

Luvyourmother....you know what? It depends on what research you read, and you choose to follow. I'm into the whole Dr Esselstyn's research right now.....and he says no added oil for optimal heart and vascular health. I jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon and even still have some in my cupboard but probably won't be consuming it now...maybe I'll use it on my skin.

Doktormartini and I were bantering back and forth on my post about "who follows..." which is a few below this one. And each one of us could come up with research to back our own opinions. There is no one set of right or wrong answers. You just have to do what you think is right. I'm significantly reducing my oil intake and hubby's. Definately NOT fat free...that would be impossible.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I agree.....it is too bad, and that is the research that is out there.

Luvyourmother....you know what? It depends on what research you read, and you choose to follow. I'm into the whole Dr Esselstyn's research right now.....and he says no added oil for optimal heart and vascular health. I jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon and even still have some in my cupboard but probably won't be consuming it now...maybe I'll use it on my skin.

Doktormartini and I were bantering back and forth on my post about "who follows..." which is a few below this one. And each one of us could come up with research to back our own opinions. There is no one set of right or wrong answers. You just have to do what you think is right. I'm significantly reducing my oil intake and hubby's. Definately NOT fat free...that would be impossible.
But going a long with the industry profit thing you could also make the claim that Esselstyn and those guys are showing that research as a means to make profits from their books.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
as is anyone who writes books? Isn't that why they write books? They don't do research to make money, albeit some notoriety though

21 - 38 of 38 Posts