VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! What's the general consensus about soft drinks? Are they vegan? I read somewhere that Fanta has a fish gelatine that is used as a carrier for the beta carotene but how about Coke?

Coca Cola, Pepsi and Nestle are off-limits to vegans due to their questionable ethics or also because of some hidden ingredients?

What other international brands do you stay away from (although the products may be vegan)?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I stay away from Procter and Gamble because of their history of animal testing & vivisection. To be honest, I think you'd struggle to find ANY large multi national corporation that is squeaky clean. As they say, nobody can make a million dollars honestly.

I try to buy local or from healthfood shops where I can to support small companies but unfortunately I'm on minimum wage & have to live within my means, which sometimes means buying what I can afford rather than what is ethical. As long as you do your research and try to purchase wisely nobody would strike you down for drinking coke once in a while. It IS vegan.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I don't consume many of the things that are made by questionable companies with questionable ingredients to begin with so that isn't an issue for me either way. That said, if I were to desire those things, I'd look for "specialty" products made in a more sound manner, with better ingredients.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
well...considering i had to evacuate my house because of the hurricane and living in a flood zone. the only think the hotel has is water and soda... im trying to drink the water in moderation because whos knows i might be here for days so i hate to say it, but im drinking diet coke...ughh i think under these circumstances its acceptable.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,008 Posts
I know many folks who don't buy coke products because of the company's support of professional bull riding.

The exact formulation used in many softdrinks varies from region to region even if they are marketed as the same product. I forget the specifics, but Fanta did use a fish-derived ingredient in some regions (European markets if I recall). Don't think they ever did in the US, but I could have that backwards.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Take care and I am thinking good thoughts for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

well...considering i had to evacuate my house because of the hurricane and living in a flood zone. the only think the hotel has is water and soda... im trying to drink the water in moderation because whos knows i might be here for days so i hate to say it, but im drinking diet coke...ughh i think under these circumstances its acceptable.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
My thoughts are with you with the storm.

as for me I don't think the main stream sodas are Vegan because of HFCS but it depends in your area also.
My husband and I get the Sierra Mist Natural because that don't have HFCS in it and I need it in the house when I have my sinus mishaps or sick.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

as for me I don't think the main stream sodas are Vegan because of HFCS but it depends in your area also.
My husband and I get the Sierra Mist Natural because that don't have HFCS in it and I need it in the house when I have my sinus mishaps or sick.
While HFCS is considered by many to be a nasty, overly-processed, even dangerous additive/sweetener, it's not derived from animal sources. AFAIK, HFCS is vegan.

Of course, we've had the debate over vegan sugar a thousand times... So sugar-sweetened sodas may or may not be vegan, based on the source of their sugar, and your particular stance on the topic...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your answers!

Indeed, I too know of HFCS to be vegan (but it is, like many other industrial crops, linked to mono-cultures that have a negative impact on the environment). It's a bit cheaper than sugar and this greedy corporations put it into everything nowadays (although some editions may be reverting to sugar, for an added "classic" taste and the like).

The label reading and research feels way more intense than when I was a vegetarian but it is worth it!

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

thankyou!
incase anyone was wondering my house is destroyed & im officially homeless.
im trying to eat as vegan as possible at the moment, but its REALLY hard.
i have on tofu stiry fry frozen meal,chips, and cookies...diet coke.

ew & fish gelatin in soda i had no idea.. dont drink soda anyway (until now..)

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenalex View Post

Coca Cola, Pepsi and Nestle are off-limits to vegans due to their questionable ethics or also because of some hidden ingredients?
What other international brands do you stay away from (although the products may be vegan)?
Not all vegans boycott unethical companies, although I know some vegans that try to.

Quote:

incase anyone was wondering my house is destroyed & im officially homeless.
I'm so sorry to read that. Do you have a place to stay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

i'm just going to have to waste all of the money i saved up to stay in a hotel
oh well i could've died or something..
i dont know your exact situation but if you had insurance read it over cuz when i lost my house back in the day insurance picked up the tab for a suite at a hotel (actually two suites children not of the same sex over a certain age are not allowed to stay in the same room) and paid for us to go out to eat for 3+ months till our house was ready to live in again. it totaled around 20k for just food and room thank god for insurance

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.