VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It can be annoying and time consuming to find vegan clothing, but it is definetly worth it.

The most annoying clothing issue that I have are the small tabs of leather on the backs of jeans, what is the purpose of them!? I have a confession, I found some jeans on the clearance rack that had a leather tab and I cut it off when I got home.
I'll never do that again.

The clothing companies seem to sneak animal parts into clothing any way they can...

What are some clothing issues that you have?

·
Registered
0 Posts
It seems like most soft, comfy sweaters are made from wool or angora hair.

And things made out of "suede." Why not just use faux suede/microfiber?!

And handbags with a tiny bit of leather on them, like a strap or buckle or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whoo! I just realized my jeans DON'T have that little leather tab on the back.

I hate when I see a coat or something that I really like and then read that it's made of wool.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just go to thrift stores, so even if the jeans have the leather tab (what brands don't anyway?) my money doesn't go towards the company at all. Also an easy remedy to buying clothing made in sweatshops.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicIggy View Post

I just go to thrift stores, so even if the jeans have the leather tab (what brands don't anyway?) my money doesn't go towards the company at all. Also an easy remedy to buying clothing made in sweatshops.
Same here.

I've found some really nice clothes for cheap at places like the Goodwill, many of which still have the tags on them.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I've never seen the patch of leather on the back of jeans. I guess I'm lucky?

I hear you about handbags, though. The last time I needed the new one, I just had the saleswoman help me find ones that were man-made materials, or happened to be made from something else (nylon, etc). And shoes! I hate shoe-shopping and that's part of the reason. Most of them are leather.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I've never seen the patch of leather on the back of jeans.
A lot of jean brands use a small patch of leather on one of the back pockets with the brand name printed or embroidered on it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I just realized the jeans I'm wearing have that. It seems tricky to get off too. what about shoes? where do you find non-leather ones? I just bought a pair of American Eagle sneakers from Payless that are not leather (but look like it) and a pair of brown not-suede shoes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find a lot of non-leather shoes at TJ maxx, marshalls, and kohls. Payless and mall stores like Shoe Carnival has some too. Basically any store with cheap shoes will have some non-leather options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading this thread and digging through my closet, it seems like I just get lucky. I like canvas sneakers, and none of my jeans have the leather butt stamp.

The only thing that annoys me has been previously mentioned: sweater and coats. Thrift stores are a definite plus on this one, and I can flex my own vegan rules to allow secondhand wool stuff, especially if the proceeds are going to a good cause, as is the case with many thrift stores.

Still, interesting to see the most common clothing hangups, as I hadn't thought of many of them.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I bought a blouse recently that I realized has some silk in it. I didn't think it would have it because it wasn't expensive. I will check next time I shop.

And my winter coat is wool. It is a few years old. Hopefully my next coat won't be wool.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Someone is asking me this question which I don't know the answer. For a U.S. women's swimsuit size 10, 14, what are the equivalent European sizes and UK sizes, respectively? (I suppose European size is not the same as UK size.) Hopefully someone can answer as there are some European folks here who may also be familiar with U.S. swimwear? Thanks.

Oh yes she mentioned the dress sizes are U.S. 6, and 10 (or 12?), smaller than swimsuit size.

Lingerie Alley

1 - 14 of 14 Posts