VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I've been vegetarian for almost two years now, during which time I've relied heavily on faux meat and cheese. As I've made the transition, I'm down to a serving of yogurt per day and occasionally eggs but not regularly. I'd like to go vegan but it feels so intimidating trying to get enough protein without the yogurt and occasional eggs without relying too much on soy, which I try and not do too much of. I'd really appreciate someone either sharing their experience in finally crossing this barrier or ways in which I can feel confident about.getting enough protein without feeling the need to add the animal products.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Protein is very easily acquired on a vegan diet if you eat a balanced diet. You can do it!

Non-soy sources include beans, peas, lentils, nuts, oats, quinoa, bread and pasta. You could also try seitan as a meat sub, that has a decent amount of protein in. Try these links for more info on protein. veganhealth.org, vrg.org and vegansociety.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, seitan is delicious! I guess my main problem isn't craving animal products, just kind of the mental hangup that i must not be getting enough protein if i dont eat some occasional dairy or eggs. Also, in terms of grams of protein, there seem to be a lot of different recommendations of what we actually need. Am i just overthinking this?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Protein is very easily acquired on a vegan diet if you eat a balanced diet. You can do it!

Non-soy sources include beans, peas, lentils, nuts, oats, quinoa, bread and pasta. You could also try seitan as a meat sub, that has a decent amount of protein in. Try these links for more info on protein. veganhealth.org, vrg.org and vegansociety.com
I have bookmarked this link as I have the same problem with protein. I don't feel that I'm getting the daily ammount that is required.

Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I get enough protein without soy or other legumes, without grains, without dairy, meat, and eggs, so yes, it absolutely can be done. Make sure you eat enough calories, number one; and eat enough green leafy vegetables. I also eat a lot of sweet and nonsweet fruit and limited nuts and seeds. Easy as can be!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The link I was gonna post has already been posted. All of those are great links actually. It's much easier and more fun to get enough protein on a vegan diet than most would assume, as you can see.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Dont worry about protein unless u have a physically demanding job or are an athlete

If u eat enough calories from a variety of foods u will get enough protein

Protein defociency is extremely uncommon and usually only occurs to those that do not eat very much food

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

If u eat enough calories from a variety of foods u will get enough protein

Protein defociency is extremely uncommon and usually only occurs to those that do not eat very much food
This is similar to what my MD said to me regarding calcium. I wanted my calcium checked and it was in normal range as was B12. I do take B12 supplements

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not enough protein? Don't wanna eat tofu every day? Forget it! A strict vegan diet has a few problems that one shouldn't neglect but protein isn't one of them. Eat a balanced vegan diet with enough variation and you'll get your essential amino acids, which is what you need. The "good" thing with animal protein is that you get all the essential amino acids in every bite, which means you can eat a very restricted diet and still get your amino acids, but miss out on a lot of other nutrients (so perhaps it's not a good thing at all when you start to think about it). And remember here that you don't have to focus on the "protien rich" items from the vegan menu (you can go without tofu or soy all your life and be just fine as a vegan, trust me) to get your amino acids, the trick is variation. When you combine vegetables and grains you will get your protein, during the course of the day (it doesn't have to all be there in every meal either). So, if you're going vegan and want something to worry about, worry about vitamin B12 (take supplements), check your levels of iron (variation!) and perhaps keep an eye on your vitamin D level (not actually a vegan problem, more a geographical one), but forget about protein and while you're at it you may as well stop worrying about calcium (milk just isn't such a great source as they say, but the green leafy vegetables are!).

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog4574 View Post

Am i just overthinking this?
Yes. Like luvourmother said, if you're getting enough calories you'll generally be getting enough protein. The fact is vegetables aren't really low in protein on a per calorie basis, just that they're low in calories.

Potatoes, for example, have about 3 grams of protein per 100 calories. If, hypothetically, you ate 2000 calories worth of potatoes in a day--only the potatoes, nothing else--you'd receive 60 grams worth of protein from the potatoes alone. That's more protein than you need, and from a food not thought to be high in calories (some beans have more than 3 times the amount of protein per 100 calories). We can do the same thing with carrots. 2000 calories worth of carrots (at 52 calories and 1.2g protein per serving) would give you 46 grams of protein. That's just from carrots! So even by eating foods that are not protein dense you can get enough protein as long as you eat enough calories. The only problem is that you wouldn't want to eat 2000 calories worth of carrots.

So what I do is mix higher calorie foods like beans, nuts, grains, and rice with lower calorie items like greens and squash and aromatics. I focus on eating healthy and eating enough. I've never bothered with calorie counting or protein counting because I feel like that can cause more stress than it's worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts