VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Ya know something... I feel zero pity for someone like that. It's akin to people going to the top of some dangerous/unstable peak in Northern BC via helicopter for extreme skiing. The guy could have hiked or climbed in a publicly monitored and publicly sanctioned area, or at the very least he should have been climbing with a friend. He knew the risks and obviously did what he had to in order to survive.

I'm just glad no publicly funded rescue operation had to be employed to save his "thrill seeking" ass.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

I'm just glad no publicly funded rescue operation had to be employed to save his "thrill seeking" ass.
Oh yeah.... like the millions of dollars the Aussie defence force spent rescuing that Pommie **** (Tony Bullimore?) from his upturned yacht. What a waste of tax payer's money.

If people want to go doing risky things like sailing all over the place for the hell of it then they should suffer the consequences if things go wrong.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Kurm, my point is... if someone wants to do the "extreme" thing... then they should have to foot the bill if they need to be rescued. Taking the high level risks such as extreme skiing in an Avalanche prone zone, and then needing to be rescued simply takes away, or delays, a potential rescue effort from someone who skiied in an area where there is such stuff as active avalanache monitoring and triggering to reduce the risk.

I have no knowledge of the thing you posted about so I cannot comment on that.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or that US balloonist who many times had to be saved by various nations' navies or coast guards.

" then they should have to foot the bill if they need to be rescued."

Perhaps some form of "thrill seeking risk taker" insurance would be required
... if they didn't have it, they would have to pay the full rescue bill

Wasn't there this winter a rescue helicopter crash that killed the resuers trying to save some skiiers. I think it's an important issue when dealing with risky locations since it puts other people in harm's way , costs money and removes rescue service from being available for other potential situations

Anyway, still it's quite shocking to hear someone actually could cut off their forearm with a knife ... wow!

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:

I have no knowledge of the thing you posted about so I cannot comment on that.
An Englishman (and Frenchman) got lost in the seas around here, and their yachts upturned (back in 1997). Our defence force spent millions of dollars finding and rescuing them (it's too bad we can't spend that sort of money helping our own.... a Pommie and French drongo are more important).

In the end it sure made a great yarn.... helping the homeless etc. isn't as rivetting.

·
Registered
828 Posts
don't drive. actually, don't walk near a road. you may get hit by a car and need an expensive ambulance to rescue you. Don't live in California, there may be an earthquake. etc.

ok, I'm being a little sarcastic here, but unfortunately, humans ARE NOT really rational beings, and we'll forever having to get each other out of preventable mishaps.

Anyways, even if this guy was dumb to go hiking alone in a dangerous area, I still say his life is worth more than a lot of things that the government wastes money on. eg. the multi-million dollar piece of art that was just three stripes of colour that the CDN gov. bought years ago. or the grant money the govt. gave an "artist" to create an artwork of dead bloody rabbits hanging in trees. (true story)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by superjane

don't drive. actually, don't walk near a road. you may get hit by a car and need an expensive ambulance to rescue you.
Sorry, those are just flat out poor analogies. We HAVE insurance for those types of things and certainly those items you describe are monitored and watched and are GOVERNED by legislation to improve the safety as much as possible (seat belts, road clearing, traffic lights, etc). We have accepted responsibilty for actions such as those you describe and we DO pay for it.

However, to take a helicopter to the top of a unmonitored mountain top to ski down and deliberately put your life in peril, and at the same time possibly take away a rescue effort from someone else, is not the same game. It's not even the same ballpark.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My point is that you can't put a value on human life. People automatically attach a price to everything.

Seriously, we wouldn't have to complain about spending money to save lives if the government didn't waste so much money on stupid things.

I personally think there are a lot of stupid, ignorant people out there. And, stupid people do stupid things, but sometimes smart people do stupid things. So even though people piss me off all the time, I still value human life highly, a lot more highly than lots of people do. Maybe it's from living in Canada, where everyone has equal access to healthcare and it is mostly free, even if you don't have insurance. Ya, it costs taxpayers money, but we (in general) are unselfishly willing to pay a little more now to ensure that we are all taken care of.

Or maybe it's from being in situations where I knew I was doing something stupid, yet still did it, and felt like **** afterwards but was still grateful for help and support. (we've all been there)

·
Banned
559 Posts
i'm impressed. granted, solo climbing, IS pretty damn freakin stupid. and i've done some solo hiking in areas like SE utah..wouldnt do it again. it's dumb.

but i'm glad he wasn't some so called outdoorsman with his cell phone and digital camera, hiking/climbing in his sorry ass old navy 'outdoor gear!' or something. i can't get my point across. i'm tired. it's not my fault.

i do agree it's their bill though. my brother is in search and rescue in the national park service and he's seem some crazy ass shiit. he's had *******s call in on their cell phones while hiking some trail at the south rim of the grand canyon..saying they THINK they have heatstroke or their damn partner fell and stubbed a toe. ok, maybe not that bad..but bAd!

i know my brother would rather rescue some dude like this, and not some obese man who thinks the park system is an amusement park where he can bring his obnoxious self and be a straight out nuisance to the entire area by complaining about the weather. and then later, has to have his 400 pound ass rescued because he's so out of shape and can't hike a mile loop.

pardon me...but it's people like that who really get to me.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:

"He hiked downstream and was spotted about 3 p.m. by a Utah Public Safety Helicopter. The search for Ralston had begun the same morning, after authorities were notified he was four days overdue reporting for work. "

I suppose it was legal to climb there, and if he pays tax he has a right to be "saved".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts