VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for foods that are "cleansing foods" or good for detoxing.<br><br><br><br>
Here is the story: I have been taking a drug to help with neuropathic pain. The drug came on the market last October and I began taking it at that time. I was eventually prescribed 600mg/day. As it turns out, that is twice the recommended long term dose. It did not help with the pain, and it has caused weight gain, severe swelling in my hands and feet and an irregular heartbeat (pretty severe). I have been taken off this drug by another physcian (in stages). Since last Thursday I have suffered dizziness, headaches, diahrrea and really awful nausea.<br><br><br><br>
The withdrawl symptoms have started to abate, although not completely. I am sure I have done some not so good things to my body through all this. I am looking for foods that will be cleansing and help me detox from this debacle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Having gone this route, personally a few years ago, my personal humble suggestion would be to go raw for a while.<br><br><br><br>
I went to a "world class" health retreat. (It's very expensive but somehow I got there on a shoestring. It was weird... guess it was meant to be b/c once I decided that I really needed to go there before I had another child, things came in to place in the wildest of ways... but innywayz.)<br><br><br><br>
They were all about health and finding out your body's problems and correcting them and detoxing, etc etc etc. (If I came up with cancer or some other equally nasty illness, I'd go there in a <i>heartbeat</i>.)<br><br><br><br>
Okay, so this was the protocol and I followed it after I came home... I lost 30 lbs that I couldn't get off for several years, felt AWESOME and all kinds of problems disappeared. I highly recommend it.<br><br><br><br>
You wake up and half a 1/2 cup of warm (not hot!) with half a lemon squeezed in to it. This gently wakes up your body and makes it ready to receive foods.<br><br><br><br>
Do a light workout for 30 minutes.<br><br><br><br>
Drink 1 shot-size amount of fresh squeezed [if you can do it or find it] of wheatgrass. [I do NOT recommend the frozen stuff - it's awful and doesn't have the same health benefits as the fresh stuff.]<br><br><br><br>
30 minutes later have a breakfast of fresh fruit. And fruit ONLY. Generally, your tropicals are better choices... like young coconut [yum!], papaya, etc.<br><br><br><br>
Mid-morning, we had a veggie juice - freshly squeezed.<br><br><br><br>
Lunch consisted of a salad of fresh veggies on salad greens and a choice of a raw veggie dish on the side. Dressing was EVOO with fresh squeezed lemons (literally you squeezed them yourself) and some braggs if you wanted that, too.<br><br><br><br>
Mid-afternoon, another veggie juice mix. (Always fresh.)<br><br><br><br>
Dinner, same as lunch but of course the raw veggie side dish always varied. We made our salads to our liking from bowls of chopped greens and veggies and simply picked what we wanted. Like a salad bar of sorts.<br><br><br><br>
One day a week, we had a "juice" fast. Where no solid food was consumed that day. It started the evening before with dinner as a veggie juice of some sort. Breakfast was a juice smoothie (yes, lemon water and wheatgrass was still part of wakeup routine). Kept mid-morn veg juice, lunch veg drink, again. Dinner back to normal. So... you liquid fasted for 24 hours and not any longer. (If you start a one day fast with the morning and break it the following morn, you're actually fasting for a day an a half. B/c the last solid was the dinner the night before... you fast during the night hence the term "break [the] fast or breakfast"... fast for break,lunch, dinner ... fasting that night again only to break it the following morning. (Make sense now?)<br><br><br><br>
The 1st three days of it are the hardest. I ate 2 monster bowls of salad at each meal. Starting almost magically on the 4th day, my need for food dropped b/c my body was getting the nutrition it needed and the detox was accepted by my body.<br><br><br><br>
Wow, did I ever feel GOOD. I had TONS of energy and people commented on how sparkly I looked (my eyes, appearance, demeanor, etc.).<br><br><br><br>
In fact, I've been strongly thinking of going back to this for a few weeks.<br><br><br><br>
If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or post here. It's actually easier than it might read. Good luck with whatever route you choose to go and hope you feel better soon!!!<br><br><br><br>
-----------<br><br><br><br>
ETA - I should point out that (a) we also had to drink 8 glasses of water through out the day and (b) when I got home I adhered to everything but the mid-morn/afternoon veg juice.<br><br><br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I was also thinking that you may want to look into raw foods. Of course every diet plan has their amazing success stories but doesn't it make sense to eat a diet rich in veggies and fruits? If you go to this website: <a href="http://www.rawfoodtalk.com" target="_blank">www.rawfoodtalk.com</a> there are many people there who have had various illnesses who claim eating raw has helped them.<br><br><br><br>
If you aren't willing to go completely raw, you may want to think about adding juices to your diet (juices you juice yourself). Things like cucumber, tomatto, apple, etc. I beleive I have seen a juicing book in Borders that even tells you what kind of juice to make for various symptoms.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much for your replies. I have printed your reply Orapunzel and I intend to follow it to the letter. I hope I can find the wheatgrass juice.<br><br><br><br>
I have never been so sick in my life as I have with this. I am too sick to even go shopping and my husband is out of town for the week, so a friend has volunteered to shop for me.<br><br><br><br>
I will let you know how I do. Again, thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts