VeggieBoards banner

Class project making me go against my morals!!!

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  fadeaway1289 
#1 ·
Hey,
I am a full-out Vegan in High school.
Tomorrow my Psychology class is going to start a project involving eating or using M&Ms.
Firstly, Mars company contributes a lot to animal cruelty.
Secondly, I do not consume dairy because of the cruelty that goes on in the dairy "farms".
Giving my M&Ms to someone else would be hypocritical in my opinion since it is encouraging them to consume them.
Also, though my teacher already bought them, I still feel that even one M&M not eaten can contribute to stopping the over-crowding and terrible conditions of the dairy cows.

Should I sit out and recieve a zero on that assignment but stand up for what I believe in, though it may offend people somehow, or should I give in because it is no big deal?

See less See more
#3 ·
The only time we get M and M's are at Christmas time when I do our cupcakes, I can have to much sweets in the house but M and M's are a nice decorations.
I agree go to the Principals office or the head of education to voice your dietery choices, you don't have to eat them if you don't want any.
I think its also foolish that a teacher would grade you what you eat in class, when I went to school we were told not to eat in class unless the teacher brought something for a treat but it was fun not a test.

#5 ·
I say talk to the teacher first. If he or she is against it, then talk to the principal, or the school board if need be.

#7 ·
Well, your teacher can't make you eat/use them nor fail you, because one, I'm fairly certain it would be against the rules, and two, they do contain an allergen, and for all they know, some students can not or will not touch them for fear of a reaction. (when my teachers passed out candy for whatever, there were normally different kinds because of things like this, and if not, a simple "No thank you" would work) Before you head into school, pick up a bag or box (double check ingredients) of Smarties, Sweet Tarts, Jujubes, Mike and Ikes, or some other small candy, and when you get to school, ask your teacher if you can substitute the M&Ms for the project as you don't feel comfortable handling them. You can tell them the truth ("they have dairy and/or I do not agree with the practices of the company") or you can lie ("they have dairy and I don't want to risk an allergic reaction").

I have no idea how candy would be used for a psychology class. Science, math, and maybe history I can see, but who knows. Maybe the different colors are important in the project, then just pick up one of the candies that contain different colors. Or, if all else fails, pick up a box of fruit snacks and use them. If you don't have enough colors, take a marker to the lightest one to create a "new" color.

#8 ·
May I suggest that you speak with you teacher and simply advise her than you are vegan and will bring in a vegan alternative to allow you to complete the activity. *note not asking but instead advising her of what you will do*

Doing so shows you are willing to fully participate in the class and also stand by your convictions. If I was a teacher I would be happy with this.

#11 ·
This is funny, because I JUST did something like this in my Psych class this past week [in College].

She handed out M&M's and we had to count the colors and come up with statistics for them.

Like you, or someone else, said already: The M&M's were already bought; the money was contributed towards the suffering, so I didn't even think of talking to her, I just threw them out afterwards. So I would suggest that, or giving them to someone else [I don't see how "not eating even one M&M" helps...?].

But if you HAVE to eat them for a grade, I would definitely talk to him/her, because she can't force you to anything that makes you uncomfortable, especially since you hypothetically could be extremely allergic.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

"I'm allergic to milk -- I brought (multicolored vegan candy) instead"
This.

Probably true if you've been a vegan for some time - a lot of people experience lactose intolerance if they haven't had any dairy for a while.

I've sat out on class projects before on principle. Once when I was only nine years old; the teacher split us into two groups and made one side pro-animal testing and the other side against. I was on the pro side, and refused to participate. Even at that age, I knew it was despicable and refused to give a single argument in favour of it. I did the same thing after going vegetarian in cookery class, refusing to cook with meat. In the M&Ms case, it sounds like there should be a reasonable alternative to satisfy both you and your teacher.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustineEvelyn View Post

Say you are lactose intolerant
Don't lie about it. That would be a compromise of principle too. Speak honestly with your teacher. You'll feel better about yourself.

#22 ·
I say stand your ground and be honest with your teacher. Talk to her about your situation; I'm sure she'll be fine with an alternative. This reminds me of a similar situation that happened years ago when my daughter was in sixth grade. The science teacher assigned each student with making a bug collection. She sent home instructions on how to kill bugs using a jar and alcohol soaked cotton balls. I explained to her that we didn't feel right killing a living creature, and she gave my daughter a different project.Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

#23 ·
You are definitely not over reacting as one post suggests. School years are hard enough, dealing with the pressure to get good grades is immense. To then on top of that feel forced to go against your morals must be very stressful.

Though I do feel that it is best to not let the stress get to you, by dealing with the problem head on. Talk to your teacher asap and if you get no where, then try your principle ect.

I'm not sure where you live, but many school have policies in place to deal with these kind of issues. For example if a student refused to perform a dissection of a heart, then the teacher would have to find the student a different but similar task e.g computer program or plastic model.

Best of luck and feel proud that you've stood up against something you don't believe in :)

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I say stand your ground and be honest with your teacher. Talk to her about your situation; I'm sure she'll be fine with an alternative. This reminds me of a similar situation that happened years ago when my daughter was in sixth grade. The science teacher assigned each student with making a bug collection. She sent home instructions on how to kill bugs using a jar and alcohol soaked cotton balls. I explained to her that we didn't feel right killing a living creature, and she gave my daughter a different project.Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.
That's horrific!

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

That's horrific!
Unfortunately it was/is a pretty common science project in many schools here.

I hope the OP returns since his/her class is over now. I'm curious about what happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.