VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/67972.html

Quote:
Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey are launching a counter attack on Capitol Hill, where animal rights activists, like Bob Barker, are pushing a bill that would ban the circus from featuring Asian elephants in their traveling shows. The company sent "fans of the circus" an email on Wednesday encouraging them to tell their member of Congress not to support the measure. The email included a link to an electronic form on the Ringling website.

"Really, you could say this is a bill to put Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey out of business," said Stephen Payne, vice president of corporate communications for Feld Entertainment, which produces the Ringling Bros. show. "I think regardless of where or how the bill is written or anything, it's an attempt to outlaw circuses."
The legislation is sponsored by Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) and being pushed by two animal rights groups, Animal Defenders International and the Performing Animal Welfare Society. They point to circus shows like Cirque du Soleil, which rely entirely on human performers, as the model for the way that Ringling and other productions that utilize animals can successfully give up the practice.
Just give up Ringling Bros, we've all seen the undercover footage. These barbaric practices are losing public favour for a reason

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Here's another article about this:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/1...phants-circus/

I was on the Ringling Bros. property in Florida years ago, in the '80s, and saw with my own eyes trainers abusing an elephant, by striking it between its eyes with a large board, in an effort to get it to obey. They were really quite brutal.

Let Ringling Bros. emulate other circuses that provide entertainment without the use- and abuse- of animals, or else let them go out of business. Some traditions should not be preserved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts