VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edited some footage today...

Animal abuse at circuses is far worse than I ever suspected. As much as I avoided them before, and told other to avoid them, I'm much more inclined now to actively protest them.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Animals are really treated cruel and the transport is really hard on them.

Not to mention the "training"

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's the training and transport footage I edited. I also saw employees (probably abused or neglected themselves as children) abusing the elephants when they thought no one was looking.

I knew that inhumane treatment was common, but I had no idea how overt and petty it could be. Really fits the definition of cruel perfectly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That's so awful

I hate circus's..... Well one's with animals in them... I've been to one with animals, and one without...

And well the one without was FAR better...

They should have laws to stop animal use in circus's....

Danny

·
Registered
119 Posts
i never liked the cricus with animals anyway. i once saw a tiger get his belly caught on fire when he was forced to jump through a hoop and they whipped him and made him roll over to get it off instead of just pouring water on him. and the elphants always have shackles on their legs like theyre slaves...yeesh

LONG LIVE CIRQUE DU SOLEIL!!!!!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
The other day, the Shrine Circus called asking for donations. They were collecting for them and a charity for sick children. THe person on the other line probably wished they hadn't called me because I didn't just give a "no", I gave them the reasons for my , "no!" Then, they asked if I wanted to just doante to the charity and I said that I would do that on my own because I didn't want to give the Circus the glory of the donation. They probably would ahve tapped into it somehow anyway.

What's funny is part of what led me to vegetarianism was circus protestors. When the Shrine Circus was here last year, there were protestors outside (I took my nephew). They gave me a pamphlet discussing how animals are treated. It said that when the elephants sway, it's because they're scared. I never knew that. Well, during the show I was looking through the pamphlet and when the elephants came out, they were swaying like mad. I felt horrible that I was helping to support this event. After that, I started looking into the cruel things that happen to animals. The circus is coming back in a couple weeks, so I', gonna go thank them for helping me realize and also, help them tell people about the cruelty that happens. Epski, you should definatly help to make people aware, because I know that it works.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I've been to more Circus protests than any other type, all primarily because of an Elephant being kept in isolation despite the Government having Laws saying it's not allowed, and "humane" societies such as the RSPCA allowing it.

But during my time there I saw other animals such as monkeys and lions, and it really was heart-breaking.

The Circus freaks are simplistic morons stuck in some sort of tradition that needs to be eradicated (they always invite us in to their tents to fight them, or whisper such pleasantries as "you're dead, c***").

One particular day they organised it for the press so that the Circus would seem really great for the Elephants. It backfired, but that didn't stop the freakshow f'ers from trying to salvage something good from it all.

The following pic is us Animal Liberationists holding out our arms and trying to connect with the solitary Elephant (it was actually quite a powerful moment,a nd one of the most moving things I have ever experienced).

That silly red arrow is pointing me out standing at the back (I haven't got a copy without it in there).

http://home.iprimus.com.au/ia1hp/pix/arna01.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
We have a local fair once a year called the Big E...Most people living in New England have heard of it. I hadn't been since I was a kid, so I went last year. And went into the petting zoo, just to see. It was awful, the conditions these poor animals were living in. All of these little kids were poking and prodding, and the only reason these animals put up with it was for the hope of getting fed.
They have those little "gumball" dispensers next to them filled w/ food, and the animals were freaking out trying to lick them. It was so sad and disgusting, I wanted to protest it right then. Why do we think we have the right to treat animals this way?? Looking into their eyes was chilling. I will never forget the look in their eyes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's 2 Ringling Bros. circuses in Chicago in November...anyone care to join me in pamphleting? I have school and work during the week it is here, but i'm going to try to get down there a few times at least.

Jill

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sunshinemelissa

Epski, you should definatly help to make people aware, because I know that it works.
That's my job, actually. I edit the footage so that the activist I work for can show it to politicians and use it for the News Van that goes to various events and protests and shows this stuff on a 42" plasma screen from inside the van. Some of the stuff we do is even used by the media. My employer is frequently seen in newscasts involving animal mistreatment.

So, hopefully I'm doing my part to make lots of people aware, 'cause I do know it works. My goal in life is to reach people not just one-on-one, but on a mass scale. This is all just part of my master plan.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, this is the first one on the West Coast. Brand new, quite nice. Take a look:

http://www.animalnews.com/

They wanted to hire me to be a driver, too, but it pays a lot lower, and I didn't really need any more work on my plate than I've already given myself, as I also have another part-time job and a career in the entertainment industry to promote.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad things about circuses with animals. I've never been to one, as my mom didn't like that they lived in such horrible conditions all the time. It just makes me...grr...

That's such a cool job epski!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, it's awesome. I hope the idea spreads.

Thanks for the props, peeps. I do my best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts