VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I want to get some cinnamon... didn't know there were different varieties and now I'm confused.

Did some research and found this:

Quote:
Due to the presence of a moderately toxic component called coumarin, European health agencies have recently warned against consuming large amounts of cassia.[21] This is contained in much lower dosages in Cinnamomum burmannii due to its low essential oil content.[citation needed] Coumarin is known to cause liver and kidney damage in high concentrations. Ceylon cinnamon has negligible amounts of coumarin.[22]
So do I want to look for Ceylon cinnamon?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
How much is a "high concentration"?

Rather, how much cinnamon would one have to consume in order to reach those levels?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, but I really like cinnamon, narry a breakfast goes by where I don't put a tablespoon of it in my oatmeal or a fruit smoothy. It's just that I'm about out of my Costco brand and need to get more and was browsing Amazon and noticed a few negative reviews on some of the cinnamon... that it wasn't real cinnamon and was bad for you. I suspect the harm is overblown but why would European health agencies warn against cassia?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts