1 tsp cinnamon

Glaze

1 cup sifted powdered sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla

1/8 tsp orange extract

3-4 teaspoons orange juice

Instructions:

------------------------------------------------------

If you own a bread maker: Allow liquids to come to room temperature. Add dough ingredients to bread maker in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set bread maker to "dough" setting and start. Do not allow dough to cook in the bread maker!

If you don't own a bread maker: In a large mixing bowl combine the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a saucepan heat and stir soy milk, sugar, margarine, and salt till mixture is warm (120° to 130°) margarine is almost melted. Add orange extract. Add to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. let rise once. Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

While dough is rising combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl set aside. When dough is ready, sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and use a rolling pin to shape the dough into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle. If the dough sticks to

the rolling pin, sprinkle a little flour on it. Once the dough is rolled out, spread the filling on the surface. Roll up each rectangle, jelly-roll style, starting from one of the long sides. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each roll

into 12 slices. Place slices, cut-side down, in a single layer in a greased 13x9 inch glass cake pan. Heat oven to 200F then SHUT OVEN OFF. Let rolls rise in warm oven.about 30 minutes. Remove rolls and preheat oven to 375F. Bake rolls for 15 to 18 minutes until the tops just start to brown.

Glaze: While rolls are baking, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and orange extract. Add juice one teaspoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.

Remove rolls from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Drizzle glaze over rolls.

Variation:

For regular cinnamon rolls: Substitute vanilla for the orange extract in the dough. Omit the orange peel and extract from the filling. Omit orange extract in the glaze and substitute soy milk for the orange juice.

Additional comments:

------------------------------------------------------

My family liked the bake and serve orange rolls from the store but they aren't vegan. I adapted/merged three sweet roll recipes and came up with this one.

IMHO these taste much better than the store bought ones.

I make these using a bread maker. I also included a traditional method of making these, but I've never tried it that way.

Enjoy!

[attachment=5399[IMG alt=""]https://www.veggieboards.com/images/smilies/blush.gif[/IMG]range rolls c.JPG]

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

These remind me of those rolls in a can we used to make when I was a kid.

·
Registered
468 Posts
seems like a lot of work...need to suck up to my mom for a couple weeks, gonna call her right now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts