VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have been fully vegan for almost 6 months now. Recently (in the last few weeks) I have been experiencing stomach pains almost every day that vary in intensity. For the last few days they seem to be getting worse and happening more frequently :sweat: They come on almost immediately after I eat. I have been eating the same foods pretty consistently when they came on, so it wouldn't be due to introducing something new my body doesn't agree with. Also, after a couple of weeks, I started reducing the amount of processed vegan products I ate and replaced them with raw options, but the pain still continues to worsen.

Does anyone happen to know what might be causing this? It is to the point now where I feel like I need to go see a doctor, but I am afraid a regular physician will not be able to help me if they do not specialize in vegan diets.

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Hi everyone!

I have been fully vegan for almost 6 months now. Recently (in the last few weeks) I have been experiencing stomach pains almost every day that vary in intensity. For the last few days they seem to be getting worse and happening more frequently :sweat: They come on almost immediately after I eat. I have been eating the same foods pretty consistently when they came on, so it wouldn't be due to introducing something new my body doesn't agree with. Also, after a couple of weeks, I started reducing the amount of processed vegan products I ate and replaced them with raw options, but the pain still continues to worsen.

Does anyone happen to know what might be causing this? It is to the point now where I feel like I need to go see a doctor, but I am afraid a regular physician will not be able to help me if they do not specialize in vegan diets.

Thank you in advance!
Why would you replace processed food with raw options? That alone would cause me, and most who don't eat raw as their regular diet, digestive issues!
I'd suggest cutting out the processed food and eating more cooked whole foods that you've been used to eating. Soups esp with good veg stock or miso.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Where do you live? I'd suggest this site-
https://www.plantbaseddoctors.org/
but it really wasn't very comprehensive for my area! I know of many more!

You could look into some plant based meet-up groups to inquire. Or even look into holistic physicians in your area
Or maybe a registered dietician?
You are right about many doctors having an agenda, but many are coming around to plant based diets as medicine.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
Hi everyone!

Thank you in advance!

Some raw vegan diets can be extremely high in fiber - far more than what is needed for good health. All that fiber can be a bit hard on the digestive system! Raw vegan diets can certainly be healthy, but some people's idea of raw veganism is eating huge plates of raw broccoli! This kind of raw vegan diet is unbalanced, and it's hard on the stomach.

Have you thought about starting with a conventional vegan diet, with cooked beans and whole grains, plus vegetables, fruits, and nuts/seeds? http://www.chooseveg.com/foodplate and http://www.brendadavisrd.com/my-vegan-plate/

If you are having persistent stomach pains, please see your physician! It doesn't matter whether or not they are vegan! Chronically painful symptoms should be attended to by a doctor!

Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts