Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Oh no! We all knew it was coming, but still

He went out with more grace and clarity than I could imagine personally, he was so eloquent right to the end

·
Registered
3,157 Posts

I loved Christopher Hitchens despite his later years disputes with Noam Chomsky, whom I also love (worth noting that they respected each other a great deal in the past). He was an independent thinker, very smart and highly entertaining on TV and in debates.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I wasn't a huge fan, but I do like a lot of what he has done. How sad.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
While I don't agree with him on a great many things, the world lost someone who could actually intelligently articulate their thoughts and opinions as well as defend them, which is a rare gift.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Hopefully, he wasn't the last of the great thinkers but the man who inspired the new wave.

I'm still incapable of watching him debate or reading his words without being in complete awe of the man's mastery of English and history. The world suffered a tremendous loss today, but he inspired so many to think differently. I'm sure he's left his mark. I'm certainly not the same as I was before I discovered his work.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What's interesting, is that Hitchens supported the Iraq War. The Iraq War produced many religious extremists.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

What's interesting, is that Hitchens supported the Iraq War. The Iraq War produced many religious extremists.
Hey now...we're on veggieboards. Implying anything can cause anything is not allowed. That's blaming the victim.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
~

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I'm sure you're referring to how you heard what a great man he was, and how well he used facts, reason and logic to prove his point when debating with religious leaders. Embarrassingly, their ignorance and inability to explain their beliefs using any logic or facts whatsoever was displayed for all to see. This was also know as being hitchslapped.

I know it's upsetting to find out how you've missed out on knowing someone so intelligent and articulate, but there are videos all over the internet where you can watch his brilliance in action.
He also had a razor sharp sense of humour, which I love.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
As he left this mortal world, we became poorer for it, but Heaven became all the richer upon receiving another angel*.

*I'm sure he could at least grin at my response, so **** anyone who takes offense.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

What a great loss.

I actually just finished God is Not Great a few days ago.
That's on my reading list.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I'm sure you're referring to how you heard what a great man he was, and how well he used facts, reason and logic to prove his point when debating with religious leaders. Embarrassingly, their ignorance and inability to explain their beliefs using any logic or facts whatsoever was displayed for all to see. This was also know as being hitchslapped.

I know it's upsetting to find out how you've missed out on knowing someone so intelligent and articulate, but there are videos all over the internet where you can watch his brilliance in action.
No his belief of God, just because some Faiths and sects slam people for people living the way they do don't mean all believers like myself very judgmental, I'll not go into more details on the forum about more of this person, yes he was a great man to some and genius but that don't prove anything.
I learned the hard way that people of certain Churches and sects are reason why people like this writer was afraid of Christians and people of faith like me.
God is great, he had brought us out of many things this year, he provided several things for us, a house, income and our sanity slowly is coming back, also I almost died this passed Feb when i went to the mental hospital confused and hurt and needed healing, at there God told me I wasn't one of them and I needed to get them to get me to leave which it was a few days after that God spoke to me.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts