VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

First off moderators, feel free to delete this if it's not allowed. I know a lot of boards don't allow discussions based on religion/faith which is fine, it is a bit exclusive. Also talk about religion can often degenerate into insults, God-bashing and general ickiness. So I'm very sorry if this discussion causes offence!

(And if there's already a similar topic, could you point me over there? I'm new here.)

That said - I've noticed quite a few Christian veggies & vegans around the place. I'd love to meet some of you - especially seeing as my faith was a big reason why I became a veggie in the first place.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I was thinking of starting a thread like this also. Not to talk abuot why Chiristianity and veg-ism agree or disagree. I would really like becomming aquainted with other Christian veg*ns and talk amongst ourselves about related topics and experiences without anything being or turning into a religious debate or anything that should be in the compost heap. I don't see it as any different from there being a women's health forum or something like that.

For example, many Christian vegetarians are not required to be so by their religion (as strange as that may seem) and we have varying experiences because of that. (hence numerous threads about "the Bible says we can eat meat bla bla bla") I think it would be nice to have a place where we can tlak to eachother about those kinds of things that we experience in every-day life.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Has anyone gotten the whole "the Bible says we can eat meat, so it isn't immoral" and "God created u in his image and gave us dominion over animals" things? It is just so bothersome that people don't want to think about what is ethical just because it isn't inherently immoral (from the Christian POV). I am on a Catholic forum, and there have been a umber of threads where people just insult vegetarianism (the entirety of which is represented by PETA in their eyes). I just can't stand it.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
/signed for a "Belief" sub-forum, that had threads for various faiths to talk in a support setting.

Regarding Christianity and Animal Rights, I recommend the book The Dominion of Love by Norm Phelps.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

/signed for a "Belief" sub-forum, that had threads for various faiths to talk in a support setting.

Regarding Christianity and Animal Rights, I recommend the book The Dominion of Love by Norm Phelps.
Haven't read that one. I was going to buy To Cherish All Life by Philip Kapleau next but maybe I'll try your suggestion. To Cherish All Life is a Buddhist take on vegetarianism.

Quote:
Book Description

Clear, direct and concise, Philip Kapleau's "To Cherish All Life" marshals the basic religious, humanitarian, and scientific reasons for becoming vegetarian. Expanding on the Buddhist principle of cherishing all life, Kapleau's compelling discussion examines crucial Buddhist texts, thoughtfully considers the spiritual-ethical dimensions of the issue, and speaks cogently to those with a religious or humanitarian respect for all life.
http://www.amazon.com/Cherish-All-Li.../dp/094030600X

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

signed for a "Belief" sub-forum, that had threads for various faiths to talk in a support setting.
just like other countries forums troub , but not a debate more support and discussion of your own personal philosophy in regard the veggie side of things , interesting....may be you could PM admin about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts