VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw another thread on cholesterol in the Vegetarian Discussion section, but didn't wanna hijack it/change the subject.

So two years ago (before I went veg*n), my cholesterol was in the 130s. I was kinda surprised at this point, because I didn't exactly have the healthiest diet and it seemed like almost everyone in my family was overweight with high cholesterol.

Anyway, we had our blood work taken for a portion of credit in Fitness For Life and my results came back awesome -

Total cholesterol was 86!

I can't find the sheet right now to give HDL and LDL levels.

I've been a vegan since March of this year and a vegetarian since last September.

Share your own results as well!

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's low as hell!

I had blood work done 4 months ago. I was lacto-ovo at this time. Although I've been on a vegan diet for the past month, and looking forward to continuing.

Date Collected: 7/26/2006

CHOLESTEROL 115 <239 mg/dL

TRIGLYCERIDE 98 <199 mg/dL

HDL 46 >40 mg/dL

LDL CALCULATED 49 <129 mg/dL

Thing is, about 5 months prior to this test, my triglyceride level was around 50, then I started eating alot of avocado.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great work Quincy,

I've been vegan for 12 years, and lacto-vegetarian before that. Here are my latest results:

Total Cholesterol 134

HDL 65

LDL 58

Triglycerides 53

Glucose 88

As a lacto-vegetarian my total cholesterol was just over 200, so there was a substantial drop after going vegan.

Anyway, your numbers really are impressive. In fact, they are much closer to those of a wild animal than a typical american! Check out this chart:

Average Total

Cholesterol Levels in

Animals and Humans1

Baboon. . . . . . . . . . . . . 110

Howler monkey . . . . . . 100

Elephant. . . . . . . . . . . . 110

Rhinoceros. . . . . . . . . . . 80

Pygmy tribes . . . . . . . . 100

Hazda tribes . . . . . . . . . 110

Rural Chinese . . . . . . . . 125

Adult Americans . . . . . . 208

1. OKeffe JH, Cordain L, Harris WH, et al.

Optimal low-density lipoprotein is 50 to 70

mg/dl. Lower is better and physiologically normal.

J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;43(11):2142-

I got this info from Dr. Fuhrman's July 2004 Newsletter, with the original reference as given above. BTW, wild animals don't have any problems with heart disease!

Dr. Fuhrman has some really interesting newsletters available through his website (www.drfuhrman.com). I learn all sorts of interesting stuff there.

Claudia

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woo! thanks for the info.

the more I have been hearing lately, in addition to some online research I've done, the more it sounds like I'm in really good shape when it comes to the key blood levels.

11,550 Posts
do you guys get bloodwork done like this as a matter of course, every couple months, or something? does every american get this done? im just curious.... it seems that the british healthcare system is very different... i don't even know if i've ever had a cholesterol test.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

do you guys get bloodwork done like this as a matter of course, every couple months, or something? does every american get this done? im just curious.... it seems that the british healthcare system is very different... i don't even know if i've ever had a cholesterol test.
I only got this one done, because it was required for our Fitness For Life course.

the only time I had it done previously, was when I asked to have a test like it done.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:

I've gotten mine done twice, and only because I asked for it. The first time, when I wasn't vegan and wasn't excercising regularly, it was 207. A few years later after being vegan, exercising regularly, and losing weight, it was 130, with a perfect HDL/LDL ratio.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:

The standard bloodwork that gets done all the time is a lipid profile that basically just checks your cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It is offered on an annual basis, for free, to all employees where I work. The reason there is so much emphasis placed on the cholesterol and blood sugar in the U.S. is because we have such an enormous national problem with heart disease and diabetes, and these tests alert people that they have a problem and need to do something. I think that people who belong to a gym, or a fitness center sometimes get free cholesterol screening as part of their membership package, and it might also be something that gets included in an annual physical exam for people who have yearly check-ups with a doctor, but I'm not positive about that (I don't get yearly check-ups).

At this point, I pretty much consider myself heart-attack proof, and there is no real necessity for me to keep getting the cholesterol test, however, I still do it just to have proof of what my diet has been doing for me, so that meat eaters can have something to compare to, and to possibly seek my advice on diet. I just try to be the best example I can so that others will be curious about what I am doing and want to follow my lead.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the sad thing is, I think that since these tests are not mandatory, many people have no clue what their levels are. (like you don't have to be obese or even overweight to have unhealthy cholesterol values)

I've tried talking to a few kids here on campus about my test results and most of them have no idea what the healthy range for cholesterol is and what their own numbers are.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing about blood tests. They do a whole bunch of people over a short period of time where I work, like some big mass production, but they aren't set up very well for smaller people. They use needles that are too big for me, and they end up going clear through my vein and then losing suction. I have really good veins, but they have bruised me for the last couple of years, so I was thinking about calling it quits on the blood tests.

A lot of mass production situations just aren't set up with smaller people in mind. Another example is that in order to give blood you have to be at least a certain weight. The reason for this is that on these blood drives they are only set up to take bags of blood that hold a whole pint of blood. As a result, those of us that only weigh enough to give a half pint of blood (aka 'half-pints') are unable to contribute.

Claudia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.