VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious, but was it your choice, or medical reasons you became vegans?

i cant have dairy, it dosent react well with me at all, so im a vegan but not by choice. i like eggs too, but i cant have them!

i also dont like soya milk, i always have rice milk instead

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina_b View Post

just curious, but was it your choice, or medical reasons you became vegans?

i cant have dairy, it dosent react well with me at all, so im a vegan but not by choice. i like eggs too, but i cant have them!

i also dont like soya milk, i always have rice milk instead
Do you avoid wool and leather not by choice too?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont avoid wool or leather, is just the food for me.

i was a vegetarien by choice, but i always had terrible headaches and cramps when i ate dairy; i was having alot of dairy products aswell!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Medical reasons don't relate to avoiding animal exploitation, which is inclusively what being vegan means.

Vegan: excludes any use of any animal products for any purpose, including animal flesh (meat, poultry, fish and seafood), animal products (eggs, dairy, honey); the wearing and use of animal products (leather, silk, wool, lanolin, gelatin); also excludes animal use in entertainment, sport, research etc.

I'm vegan because I find no need for humans to use animals when other foods/goods are readily available

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina_b View Post

i dont avoid wool or leather, is just the food for me.

i was a vegetarien by choice, but i always had terrible headaches and cramps when i ate dairy; i was having alot of dairy products aswell!
Then you're still vegetarian, just not lacto/ovo-dairy and eggs included.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Yes, vegans take it beyond diet and into lifestyle, avoiding other forms of exploitation such as in clothing and products experimented on animals. Strict vegetarian would be the proper term for someone that avoids meat, dairy and eggs (not sure about honey) in diet and that doesn't worry about exploitation in other lifestyle choices.

My boyfriend stopped eating meat, dairy and eggs because they were triggers for his GERD. He's become more aware of the ethical side and tries to avoid exploitation in other areas of his life now too so I suppose he could call himself a vegan if he wanted to.

I'm definitely an ethical / animal rights vegan but the health and environmental benefits are a bonus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts