VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always crave things such as crackers and chips. Bascially something that is salty and you can eat out of the bag. I really like goldfish crackers, pretzals, much ims, cheese-its, and chips. Those sorts of things.

What is a healthy alternative? Am I just additcted to salt? I love rasins and have tried eating them in place of crackers and things, but I just don't get the same type of satisfying feeling. Maybe its the bread type base?

What I'm really asking, is what can I eat instead that is better for me?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm not really sure, but you can eat some kind of nuts instead. I just had some soy nuts, and they were pretty salty. I hope that helped a little.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You're addicted to crunchy foods :)

Nuts work for me sometimes, but there are days that nothing is as good as crackers, chips or fries hehe

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And yes piglet, that did help.

I'm just afriad to eat too many nuts because they are high on the fat side.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
try flavoured soynuts. i tried them once, i bought them bulk, and they were wierd, i didn't like them. but i tried them again, packaged, and they were soooooooo good. i think the bulk ones were just old and stale. yuck

so go for the packaged ones, the bbq ones are really good. corn nuts work also.

i also find mixed nuts a good substitute for chips and things, i usually get salted ones but you can get unsalted if you're worried about your intake and just add a teeny bit of seasalt to the bag and shake it up

and instead of fatty processed things like peanut butter ritz sandwiches, i take regular crackers and peanut butter, same affect, less processed goo.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you eat potato chips probably the best kind is a brand like Kettle's. It's pricey but they do make it more healthy than most other chips. The don't hydrogenate the fat and they use high-oleic safflower oil which is probably one of the best oils that can be used. It's high in monounsaturates and low in omega-6 (so it won't skew the omega-6/omega-3 balance as much).

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I am a total chip monster too. I can easily go through a whole bag of chips in a sitting, so I try to avoid them. When I get that salty/crunchy urge, I usually go for unsalted or lightly salted pretzles and dip them in mustard (I get this really tasty smoked mustard at Wild Oats). Their nice and crunchy and the flavorful mustard cancels out the salt craving.

Another really good crunchy snack that's not too bad in the sodium and fat area is Genisoy SoyCrisps https://www.genisoy.com:443//comp_cr...Fpart%5Fdesc=. Even if you're in major binge mode and eat the whole bag it's only 385 calories and 7 grams of fat. They Zesty Barbecue is my favorite flavor.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I make my own chips. Just brush a little oil on a cookie sheet, put on thinly sliced potatoes, sprinkle with salt (or other seasoning) and bake at 450 for about 15 minutes.

I also love popcorn with Earth Balance, a little nutritional yeast & salt.

Sometimes vegies and a dip, like hummus are great too.

Smoked mustard...that sounds good.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Bearitos Brand makes these tortilla chips called Red Hot Blues. They're vegan and so good, though they probably aren't good for ya! Oh well, when you have that craving...

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I had a middle school health instructer who recommended chewing ice for potato chip fiends. It gives you crunch and probably something about water and salt?

I wouldn't want to sit down and chew on a bowl of ice, though. Hehm. Pass me the Tostitos.

Carrot sticks, maybe.. They're crunchy and sort of fill up your tummy.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Buy the "Wow!" brand of chips. They're fat free. And for many people the only side-effect is instant diarrhea. Hmm, maybe after spending so many hours on the toilet you'll start to dislike potato chips. Wow, there's an idea!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Popcorn, lightly salted.

Rice crackers w/ tomato and a little bit of sea salt.

Pickled pickels.

Make up some healthier "doritos" out of thin pita bread + paprika w/ little salt, tiny amount of oil, under the grill. Have some hummus handy and ready in the fridge.

Some kind of vegan cracker w/ soy cream cheeze + shredded carrot + shredded apple w/ rasins.

I have some really good recipes for dips and such that are low in fat and healthy, they are great to graze over with a pita dorito or something very similar. Let me know if you want them.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I cut flour tortilla (not corn ones!!!) into small pieces and spray with pam and bake at 400 F for several minutes, YUm!! They are sweet and crunchy and don't have the nasty after taste of regular potato chips. Even my junkie hubby prefer the baked tortilla chips. Wonton wrappers can be cut and baked into crunchy treat too!!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I think I posted on another thread about salt free tortilla chips. I eat these with dips (homemade guac or salsa). And I've found that they are quite tasty with dip, but rather dry and bland without it...meaning I won't eat a good portion of the bag at one sitting. It's worth a try. i used to eat the salty chips iwth the salty salsa...and that's got to addd up to too much salt. So now I've cut myself to just one salty thing. Also some chips I've noticed come in lightly salted.

Another idea would be to buy salt free and add a little salt yourself.

B

·
Registered
428 Posts
My favorite crunchy foods are pretzels and baked tortilla chips. Guiltless Gourmet makes a wonderful blue corn baked tortilla chip. Popcorn is another good idea. I also like flavored rice and popcorn cakes. I know what you mean about needing that salty crunch!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts