VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Sloppy work, ain't gonna hate for it though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always eat the black beans so I'm ok

·
Registered
221 Posts
I feel like if someone doesn't eat something, they should do the research about what they eat. When I went veg*n, I checked out Chipotle's website. It was obvious what I could eat and what I should avoid. And the guy should have asked...

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I know back some six years ago, it was on their website that the pinto beans weren't vegetarian/vegan.....so i don't feel liek they deceived me.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I didn't think this was any secret. I always knew only one of their varieties of beans was veg, I just always forget which one and have to ask every time. I never once got the answer, "they are both ok."

It's pretty common to put lard or meat in beans, so people should be in the habit of asking if it's not clear.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I worked at one a long time ago and been going there forever, they are supposed to say the pinto have bacon if you order them on a veggie item.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
It says for vegetarian burritos, they make it with vegetarian black beans; and the pinto beans are shown as having cholesterol, so that's a clue. I remember there being a vegetarian list somewhere as well, but don't see it right now on their site.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/s...formation.aspx
Vegan Options
You should avoid our pinto beans (they are cooked with a small amount of bacon), meats (obviously), cheese, sour cream, and chipotle-honey vinaigrette.

Vegetarian Options
You should avoid our pinto beans (they are cooked with a small amount of bacon) and our meats. If you do eat dairy, our cheese is made with a vegetable-based rennet, and our sour cream is 100% cultured cream.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I think the real issue here was not veg*ns (since the policy is to warn people ordering vegetarian burritos) but Jewish and Muslim customers who might have ordered beef or chicken with pinto beans.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I thought this was common knowledge? I've found the information provided by Chipotle on their website to be very helpful and upfront about what vegetarians and vegans can/cannot eat.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Yes, but if they have dietary rules or something they don't/can't eat, it's should still be their own responsibility for checking the ingredients. Chipotle doesn't hide the fact that there is bacon in the pinto beans, it's not difficult to find out.
Yeah, I agree. We have to check everything, they have no excuse for not doing so too. I was mainly trying to clear up possible confusion caused by the thread's title.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/s...formation.aspx
Vegan Options
You should avoid our pinto beans (they are cooked with a small amount of bacon), meats (obviously), cheese, sour cream, and chipotle-honey vinaigrette.

Vegetarian Options
You should avoid our pinto beans (they are cooked with a small amount of bacon) and our meats. If you do eat dairy, our cheese is made with a vegetable-based rennet, and our sour cream is 100% cultured cream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I've found Chipotle to be very straightforward about this. It's listed clearly on their website, in both the Ingredients section and the Special Diets section. I've been to at least one Chipotle location that had it clearly posted on the divider where you order. Another location automatically adds black beans (NOT pinto) if you ask for a vegetarian bowl/burrito. Ask on the Chipotle Facebook page, they will reply to you very quickly about it, too.

It's no secret. If someone feels "betrayed," it's their own fault for not checking the ingredients. If you need to not eat something, for whatever reason, it is your own responsibility to check the ingredients when you're eating out.
sounds like chipotle is one of those awesome places i've never been to that make their ingredients/nutritional info easily available. i feel bad for the guy but since the info that bacon is in the beans is only a click away it's his own fault. and if he didn't want or could check the website why wouldn't he double check in the restaurant if any items had pig in them that wasn't listed?

i think i need to try chipotle

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I've never had Chipotle, what is it? Is it like a fast food restaurant?

Anyways, I agree that it was his fault for not checking first. I'd understand if he'd made a mistake and forgot to check and assumed that the pinto beans were vegetarian and vegan, mistakes can happen, but I don't think it's right for him to blame his mistake on Chipotle.

It would be nice if Chipotle had vegan pinto beans like several other restaurants, but it's nice that they go out of their way to specify that they aren't vegetarian or vegan on their website.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts